Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User access

• Please log in to reply

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Same as before for the uninstall. InstallShield Wizard starts, generates a small window asking for the key code (this is the same window that comes up when I install QuickBooks). When I put in the key code a dialogue window comes up indicating that I've entered an invalid key code. If I 'OK' the process repeats a number of times till setup shuts down. If I 'cancel', I get the question 'do I want to quit setup' (something like that) and then a final dialogue that setup/installation could not be completed. :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Guess we're going to have to do a manual uninstall...that'll be fun. I'll have to research your version of quickbooks a bit, too. The version I have is a little older.

I'll have Keith look in on you and see if he has any ideas...he's starting fresh so may be a little sharper than I am right now... :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download and install Unlocker from my signature, during the install you need unlocker assistant and for it to be set to run at start up, reboot after you install it, when windows loads you should have a wand in the taskbar

If you have a quicken folder in programme files, click it to highlight then click move this folder and put it in my documents, ignore any warning, if you get access denied, unlocker assistant should run with options, choose unlock all, close programme files, open programme files and retry moving the folder

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Good Morning Gentlemen - I have a proposal for your consideration. It seems to me that a large part of this problem may be that XP-HE is a bit too lame for QuickBooks Premier. What if I purchased XP-Pro and installed it (after saving my files to another area). This would reformat the hard drive and start me on a fresh page. Hopefully then QuickBooks would operate properly, (maybe after some tweaks as posted earlier in this topic).
Thoughts on this?
Would Pro Full Version or Pro Upgrade be better.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
An installation of XP Pro will give you the ability to use group policy settings which is exactly what we've been trying to work around (XP Home doesn't have this feature). This would definitely be a huge step foreward.

In your present circumstance, no install cd for the current system, it would have to be the full version to get around the "Qualifying Product" prompt you'd receive during the install of an upgrade version. The full version will allow you to format the drive which will clean off all the tweaks and shredded Intuit files now on the machine.

If you can back up all the Data you need, that would be the route to take. In addition to the Data you want to keep, you'll also want to download and save all the drivers you'll need for your hardware from the Dell site and save them to a cd. XP Pro has a very good driver cache, but some of Dell's drivers are pretty proprietory. It's best to have them handy before you start than to have to round them up after the install.

The Quickbooks should install effortlessly on the Pro version... :whistling:

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Allrighty then. I'll pick up a copy and install - probably tomorrow. I'll come back to this thread to let all know how things went.

SO much thanks for your tireless efforts! :whistling:

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Installed XP-Pro and then the QuickBooks program. All went well. Thanks again for all of your efforts. You guys are great!!

:whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Welcome back, robolma!

Thanks for letting us know! :whistling:

wannabe1