Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

omega drivers

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
if i upgrade from standard ATI drivers for my radeon 9550 will the omega drivers allow me to overclock the card?

i no that the GPU is the same as the radeon 9600 so i want to just squeeze the last bit of performance out of it

i have heard that the ati catalyst drivers will not allow you to overclock. i have heard that the drivers switch back to default setting when a game is loaded?
any ideas?

are the omega drivers safe to use?
thanks
troppo

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I never tried Omega but it is true that Catalyst doesn't allow OCing because it's an ATI product and they don't want you OCing I guess *shrugs*

I use ATITool and that has worked well so far for all my OCing needs. I guess try both, see which you like more!

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
If it has the same GPU as the 9600 you probs could flash the BIOS and turn it into a 9600. Ive used Omega drivers there gd pretty much the same (well I dont notice any differences) but u get ATI Tray Tools with it which u can overclock with. Omega drivers are based around the ATI ones but made better.

Edited by rumble291, 22 April 2006 - 05:07 PM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Omega are far more stable, but I personally would say they are more for a gamer. I don't know if they allow overclocking, I have "ATi OverDrive" with the omega drivers... But I'm sure I had that with the catalysts... Try ATi Tool.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They arent really much more stable they are tweaked and work better on some cards but they can be less stable becuase of the alterations its more of things added than anything changed.

Omega drivers are basically packaged with ATI tool, catalyst only has built in overclocking for x1000 cards.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thanks for the replies guys,

i dont no if i want to flash the bios that sounds risky to me on a video card
cause if it doesnt work there is not a chance i can fix it
rolling back drivers i can do but restoring the video bios might be a bit tricky.

i have used rivia tuner and ati tool and they work fine everest telll sme that it is overclocked by ...% but i dont no if it reverts back to teh default settings when a game loads any ideas?

thanks for the advice guys much appreciated,
troppo

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
It should be fine its only if you try and overclock a GPU to another GPU say for instance my X700 Pro to an X700XT then thats risky but it should be fine if u have a 9550 and unlock it to a 9600.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i have read that you can flash teh bios while you are still in windows that should be ok to do shouldnt it?

has anybody here used any of these flashing programs?

thanks for the help guys i just dont want to ruin my card i no its cheap but its the best i can do for now :whistling: lol
troppo

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
ATIFlash is one but u need to put it onto disk and boot from it. Make sure u get the right BIOS the 9600 BIOS and just flash it to the card and then its no longer a 9550 its now a 9600 :whistling:

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well thats where my problem starts. I have been looking for a bios but with no luck
the card runs on infinion 4.0 ram 256mb and i havent been able to find one
there are many brands of cards but they all run on slightly different ram. can i use any brand ram but make sure its 4.0? anyhelp would be greatly appreciated
also does it have to be 4.0 can i go to 3.3 or whatever i cant seem to find it anywhere

also if the bios says that its for a 128Mb card can still use it will it register 256 MB i doubt it will but im just making sure

i have been using this site to look for the bios's but with no luck anybody no where else i can get one,
http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/
troppo

Edited by troppo, 24 April 2006 - 05:14 PM.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well still i have not been able to find a compatable bios
But
i did update my drivers (softmod) and upgraded catalyst to 6.4 and surprisingly i have noticed a fair difference
weather or not its the actuall driver or the control centre but its good

i am yet to run a complete benchmark but i have observed the frame rates and they are up quite dramatically id say around 5-10 frames a second better (remember my card is crap lol) so im pleased and the new softmod drivers have allowed me to overclock to 330MHz core and 220MHz ram from 250 core and 200 ram i no i can push teh ram a little further but the card doesnt have any ram sinks and its only got a pritty crappy aluminium heatsink so im pleased it will do me until i am able to afford a new card ( im saving for a car ) hehe

well thanks you all for the help but i also would like to no if there are any bios versions out there that are still compatable i have found that infinion ram is pretty scarse i have seen heaps for hynix and samsung but none for infinion :blink: owell
anybody no some sites wherei can get them from besides techpowerups

thank you all it is much appreciated,
:whistling: troppo

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
yeah ive noticed that aswell with those new drivers lol

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well good theni ts not just me!
i thought maybe im dreaming it lol
well maybe i just wont bother with the bios i cant find one anywhere to suit my card maybe ill just give up!

save for a new card and get one that is better i dont no but if any body finds a compatable bio si will definatly give it a go thatnsk for the help,
troppo

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Hes some a site full of ATI BIOS's:

http://www.techpowerup.com/bios

make sure u dump the orginal BIOS first then make a bootable CD or Floppy disk.

Edited by rumble291, 28 April 2006 - 02:39 AM.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yeah thats the site i have been using. it doesnt have the make of my ram
my ram is infinion 4.0 (thats what it says on the card itself)

can i use any type of ram make?
does it have to be 4.0 or can it be 3.3 or somthing,
thanks troppo