Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outdated Already?

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I was reading through some reviews of the RADEON X800XT and lots of people mentioned that it only supports Shader 2.0 not 3. Should I wait until I get a good job as a designer or journalist in order to buy a X1900 or the like?

}BP{

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well SM2 is identical to 3 apart from it being the more efficient it doesnt do anything different, however the x800s are older cards and you can get better newer cards like the x1800GTO or 7600GT for the same and they are better newer cards.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Well...you could overclock...but thats risky.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The XT is allready operating at close to its maximum speed.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
really? darn...that sucks.

My X850XT is nowhere near its max

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Warrior...can you suggest a card withing a $200 range that would be a good upgrade...my money is tight.

I need a new video card, want more RAM, and I'm buying a $250 skimboard in the summer...so is the x850xt a bad choice? Or just not the $400 option?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130283

The 7600GTs are pretty fast, faster than an x800 the 128bit interface lets it down otherwise it would be seriously fast but its high clock speed makes up for it. Its a good card and very cheap.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Im getting the X1800GTO soon:D

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I took off the user bar...but I'm a diehard ATI user...so the x850xt is my best bet for under $250ish right?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I took off the user bar...but I'm a diehard ATI user...so the x850xt is my best bet for under $250ish right?

Do you have agp or pci express?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah not really, dont stick with one company over another because your a fanboy thats idiocy i prefer ATI but if i can get a better nvidia card for less ill get that, not as big a factor being UK and ATI being cheap here. But still fanboyism is just stupidity.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I have PCI-E jrm

And as for going nVidia...I went to PC World (who I still trust most in terms of comparison ratings) and compared the nVidia warrior recommended and the GTO (which seemed like an odd matchup) and the FPS were only slightly better on the nVidia, but slightly is better than nothing.

Also on Newegg.com, the eVGA nVidia whats its face is $4 more than the x800XT, but hey...watever...we'll see

Edited by BlackPandemic, 24 April 2006 - 08:12 PM.