Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive won't read CD's anymore

• Please log in to reply

azuca138753

azuca138753

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
My CD Drive will not read any CD anymore, including those of music and games. Today I tried to install the Sims on my computer, but the CD drive simply would not respond when I put the CD in. I have already tried going to the hardware manager, deleting the CD drive and then letting the comp. auto-detect it, but this is ineffective. Please help. I deeply appreciate it.

-Gared

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi azuca138753...

When you remove and reinstall the drives from Device Manager, do you receive an error something to the effect of "Windows has found your hardware, but is unable to install the drivers for this device"?

wannabe1

azuca138753

azuca138753

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
No--it automatically redetects the drives, but it still doesn't recognize when I insert a CD. There is no error message displayed whatsoever.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for the problem. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

Make a back up of your registry by clicking "File" in the toolbar and selecting "Export". In the File Name box, type backup, choose to save the file to your desktop, and click "Save"

Navigate to the following keys and, if they are present...(in the right pane), delete the bold entry. (right click on it and select "Delete", then accept the deletion)

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, if the following entries are listed, right click on each and choose "Delete"...accept the deletion.

UpperFilters

LowerFilters

Close the Registry Editor and reboot. Try the cd-rom.