Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start. Help!

• Please log in to reply

cazanne

cazanne

• Pip
  • 4 posts
HI, I'm a newbie and I got a problem.

I've been having a lot of problems with spyware on my pc, which I couldn't get rid of no matter what I did. So I formatted my hard drive and partitioned it into two drives. So far so good, all worked ok, and I've been using it fine. However I was having some problems with the back ups I did, it was SOOO slow, so I decided to get some more memory.

I installed another 1GB of Ram, same style as the original to make it 1512 memory in there. When I first switched it on it only showed 512 Ram still, so I switched it off and took out the ram and replaced it - just to make sure I had it in correctly.

Now it won't start at all. The fans are whirring but the hard drive won't kick in. I have tried the hard drive on another pc in the house and it doesn't work on that either.

Have I got a serious ptoblem with my hard drive?? or is it something simple I'm not seeing. It just got to me that it started once, and now won't do anything.

Please help.

Cazanne :whistling:

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
System specs?
-P.

cazanne

cazanne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
its a Mesh pc with a AMD athlon XP2600+ CPU. Motherboard is Asustek A7N8X-VM. I've got a seperate graphics card - ATI radeon 9200SE 128MB
hard drive is 60GB ultra fast (7200RPM) with 2MB buffer. DVD re-writer
I had a 512MB ram module and a 256Ram module both are PC2700 DDr ram at 333MHZ. I changed the 256 to a 1GB to start the probs.

I'm not sure what else you need to know.
Cazanne

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
use just the 1 gig stick and try that. If it dont work try resseting the CMOS.

cazanne

cazanne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i think i tried that on Friday, I tried all sorts of combinations. I will try it again though.
How do I reset the CMOS.
The thing I'm unsure about is that the hard drive wouldn't work when I tried it in the other pc.
Cazanne

cazanne

cazanne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i tried the 1 gig stick on it's own and I cleared the CMOS still nothing.

Sorry to be such a pain, I can see I am gonna have to take it to someone, cause I can't figure out whats wrong.

Thanks for the help
Cazanne