Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reparing Windows Registry

• Please log in to reply

Ctech04

Ctech04

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Hiya. Norton AV found and deleted a trojan horse.After I rebooted my system, I got error message 0x000021a \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFI G\SYSTEM. I tried to repair the registry using the microsoft corrupt registry fix on the microsoft website. I got through step one, and when I rebooted again and tried to access the repair console. The repair console wouldn't let me in without an administrator password. I didn't have a password before I tried the fix. Anyone have any idea what happened? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The console always prompts for a password even when no password has been set for the admin account --- it simply doesn't know wether you set one or not. If you didn't, just leave password prompt empty and press ENTER. Then it should let you in.

Ctech04

Ctech04

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I know that. What I probably should have said was, the repair console now wants a password to enter. Just trying to bypass by hitting "enter" doesn't work anymore. I have no idea how this happened. :tazz: I didn't add anything to the syntax from the microsoft website. I can get to the windows XP loading screen now when trying to start windows, then get the BSOD saying CHKDSK failed and then the restart. Kinda frustrating, y'know? :mad: Anyway, if there is a way to get around the password request in repair console, please let me know. hehe. Thanks for the reply. ;)