Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mickey Mouse Mouse Problems

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Fairly recently I have developed a problem with my mouse that is really annoying. If I left click at an average sort of speed I will get two responses. For example, if I am deleting an email after I've read it, if I don't use the briefest and light click it will delete not only the email intended but the following email also. This isn't confined to email. If I am using the back botton on the mouse (logitech mx700) and I am not careful it will go back two webpages rather than just one.

I cannot grab the corner of a popup and resize it by dragging. It does not matter how slow I try it will not resize.

If I am attempting to drag an icon on the desktop or drag a dialoge box to a different spot on the screen to uncover something I need to see I often cannont do it. Sometimes it will allow me to move if I grab exactly in the center of the title bar and mover VERY slowly.

I have adjusted click speed up and down and it makes no difference. I have not changed the mouse or display settings. Device manager says that the mouse is working properly This problem is really annoying. Does anyone have a suggestion on a likely solution?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the mouse has clear sight to the transceiver

Uninstall the logitech mouseware, run disc clean up, reboot, re-instal the logitech software from their site

Check this is the correct link

http://www.logitech....,contentid=6034

If you use a Cordless Desktop keyboard that uses iTouch™ software and you are upgrading MouseWare, it is recommended you also upgrade to the latest version of iTouch.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I did as you suggested but it did not resolve the problem. The ability to move an icon on the desktop may have imporved a little but it is still far from behaving correctly. Another problem that has existed is an inability to click and drag to highlight or select.

The most significant problems all seem to be related to click, hold and drag operations. Do you have any other suggestions? :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you install the most recent Microsoft Updates

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Yes, All critical updates have been installed as well as any optional software and hardware updates that appear appropriate for how I use this computer. The one thing I have not done is install the mouse on a different system to see how it operates. However, I woud be very surprised if the problem were actually a mouse hardware problem :whistling: .

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel then add / remove, tick show updates, look for this one

KB908531

Remove it if there, reboot

SYMPTOMS
After you install security update 908531 (security bulletin MS06-015), you may experience one or more of the following problems:• You cannot access special folders such as "My Documents" or "My Pictures."
• Microsoft Office applications stop responding when you try to save or to open Office files in the "My Documents" folder.
• Office files that are located in the "My Documents" folder cannot be opened.
• If you open a file by clicking Open on the File menu, the application stops responding.
• When you type an address in the Address box in Microsoft Internet Explorer, nothing happens.
• When you right-click a file and then click Send To, nothing happens.
• When you expand a folder in Windows Explorer, nothing happens.
• Some third-party applications stop responding when you open or save data in the “My Documents” folder.
To see security bulletin MS06-015, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft...n/ms06-015.mspx

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
That update was present so I removed it. It actually made things somwhat worse. So I used system restore and now the problem is better. It is noticeably better but still not correct. I am still getting some actions initiated with a single click that should require a double click and selection by click and drag is still very difficult to execute. But, dragging an icon on the desk top has improved and if I get exactly in the right spot on the edge of a window I can resize vertically, horizontally and diagonally. But it does require getting on just the right spot and not going too fast. Any further suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Keith, I am asbolutely stunned at the rapidity of your responses and your knowledge of troubleshooting this problem. This is something I can live with but is obviously very annoying every hour I am at the keyboard. I will be glad to rid myself of it.

I have a commitment that will require me to leave shortly. I am not going to start the series of actions you have outlined until I have the time to follow your instructions from beginning to end without interruption. I will do this either later this evening or tomorrow and report the results. Thank you very much. Mark

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Keith, Thanks for the instructions. The problem is fixed and this machine is really breathing fire again. I need to run these operations on several other machines in the house! Thank you very much. Mark

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

If Tune Up helped at all, they have no objection to you buying it and installing on any PC you use, so if you divide the cost by four PC's, it can be worthwhile, though this isn't a sales pitch for them