Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lost my E DVD drive and now have a K CD drive

• Please log in to reply

mkmom

mkmom

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I lost my DVD player drive that was on letter E and now I have a K drive that can play Audio and read data disc, but doesn't see DVD discs. It does not recognize any DVD. In my device manager I see an IDE DVD.Rom 16X and the location is 0. I also see a AXV CD/DVD.Rom SCSI CDRom Device, but I have no idea what that is. I have Nero 6.6 installed and uninstalled Alcohol 120 and CDClone. How do I get my E drive to show up again and be completely functional? I have a DVD writer on my F drive and that works perfectly.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there mkmom, welcome To Geeks To Go Forums.

I am not to sure on why this is happening... Maybe you loaded a program (Eg. CloneCD, Alcohol) which makes its own virtual drive and then you had uninstalled it. This is just my guess, if you never loaded any programs I am not to sure what could of caused this but I can try give you the solution.

Goto:
> Start
> Control Panel (In Classic Start Menu, >Settings >Control Panel)
> Administative Tools (You may have to change to Classic View [You can find this on the left hand side of control panel, there is a menu bar])
> Computer Management
> Stroage (Once inside computer management)
> Disk Management (Expand Storage)

You will then see a list of drives, select your drive (K:\) right click and click "Change Drive Letters and Paths..." from there it should be easy for you to understand but if you have any other questions or need help in the proccess let me know.

Once we have this fixed let me know if the DVD function works, if not we can try other things.

Cool, let me know if this all worked. :whistling:

mkmom

mkmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your fast reply. I got my E drive back, but it still doesn't recognize DVD's, only CD's. Also, I don't know how this happened, but I now lost my A drive, my floppy drive.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Have you loaded any new programs since this strted happening. Also try update your firmware.

Let me know. Cool :whistling:

mkmom

mkmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No, all of a sudden, my DVD reader stoped recognizing DVD's, only CD's. I read some where that Alcohol 120 of CDClone could cause this, so I uninstalled those programs. The AXV CD/DVD.Rom SCSI CDRom Device is also new, I don't know where that came from. I don't know if this matters, but I disable it in Device Manager thinking this might help, but it doesn't make a difference.

I don't know if this matters, but these errors are in my System event log. I have no idea what it means, but I am trying to give you as much info as I can

The value named AutoShareWks in the server's Registry key LanmanServer\Parameters was invalid. The value was ignored, and processing continued.

The description for Event ID ( 6 ) in Source ( ltmodem5 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: , \Device\ltmodem0.

Edited by mkmom, 23 April 2006 - 12:35 AM.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Uninstalling certain optical drive burning programs is known to make optical drive's letters to disappear. One fix is this. Another fix is this.