Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death Issue - Please Help

• Please log in to reply

qball419

qball419

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Recently my Acer Travelmate laptop (running Windows XP Pro) has been acting up. While surfing the Internet, it would abruptly go into the blue screen of death mode. It just flashes the error and didn't allow me time to read the error in detail. But toward the end, it said something about "physical dumping of memory."

Anyway, I got of tired of it... so I've decided to do a fresh install of Windows XP Professional.
On the Windows Setup installion screen,I deleted all the partition and perform a NTFS Quick
Format on an entire hard drive.

Windows starts up just fine. I install all the drivers(video,Ethernet,etc..) that is on
Acer backup disk.I then install Firefox and AntiVir antivirus program. I thought
my issue with the Blue Screen of Death was resolved. But while surfing the web, it happen again
and many times afterward. I looked through the forum and someone suggested going to the
Recovery Console and running chkdsk /r. I did that and let it run overnight. However,
I am still having problem with it.

It is happening so often that I don't even trust my laptop anymore. At anytime, it could go into
the dreaded blue screen. Could someone advise me as to what to do? It won't even give me
enough time of read the entire error message so I can't provide detail. All I know is something
about a memory dump at the end. I would like to know what is causing this and what I can
do to make my laptop more stable again. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Edited by qball419, 23 April 2006 - 12:04 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you try this but just let it run ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,, chkdsk /r /f

try that

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi gball419!

I need you to turn off auto restart. When you do so instead of restarting when you have a system error it will give you a STOP code on a Blue Screen of Death.

Turn off auto restart
  • Control Panel< System < Advanced < Startup and recovery
  • Uncheck the Auto Restart box.
Once you have done this next time it will give you a Blue Screen of Death with a STOP code instead of rebooting. Could you please post the STOP code in your next post.

Fenor

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
let the room know

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
let it dump the memory it takes about 5 hours but it will improve a lot, dont disturb it

for me blue screen gone

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
rushin1nd

Please do not advise people to let the physical dumping of memory to complete. That is NOT the proper way to deal with situations like this. We don't even know the error that is occurring and as such we cannot tell a person to do something until we know the proper course to take.

Fenor

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
whatever you say only trying to help

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
my error was .......................STOP 0X00000007A

qball419

qball419

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I will post error message soon. I couldn't post in the initial thread because I didn't know how to "pause" the BSOD screen. Hopefully, we can we can go from there and figure this thing out.
Thanks again for the quick reply.