Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help a video card noob out =]

• Please log in to reply

Darklordryu

Darklordryu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay so I have a dell inspiron 2200 (Sucks I know) and I'm looking to put a new video card into it. I'm not even sure if I CAN put a video card into a laptop, so my first question is HOW would I put one in?

My second question would be what KIND of video card should I put in.
Radeon?
NVidia?

I like to think I'm intelligent with computers, I'm sure I need a PCI card I don't think I could put an AGP card in, but when it comes to this kind of stuff, at least as far as laptops are concerned, I'm quite inexperienced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You cant install new graphics cards into laptops.

Darklordryu

Darklordryu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You cant install new graphics cards into laptops.

I thought that too but I've been doing a little research while I've been waiting and the Radeon X300-1800 series is supposed to be able to go into laptops (I could be completely wrong and could be reading from ATIs site wrong though I don't believe I am)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Laptops use just the GPUs there isnt a seperate removable card, this is why you cant install new gfx cards into laptops they just dont have the neccesary format to allow removal of components like that, the CPU, and GPU are both very difficult even to access at all and even if you had the neccesary skills to remove them it would be difficult to replace them and then get them to work in that system. Its just not really possible.

What you are probably reading is that ATI make those GPUs in laptops variants so you can go and buy a laptop with that in it but you cant actually buy a X300 mobile chip to upgrade your laptop with it, apart from memory and hard drives you cant upgrade laptops.

Darklordryu

Darklordryu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ahhh okay I guess I was reading that wrong. Thanks for your help, and may the force be with you too =]