Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Properties CRASH

• Please log in to reply

Quari

Quari

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, I have been experiencing a problem for some time whereby whenever I try to click on the "Advanced" tab of my Internet Properties window, my computer will not allow me to - while it does not crash as such, it experiences an error and closes the window, temporarily also removing my start bar. The error is shown below:

http://img153.images...53/error5nv.jpg

In the past it has shown the Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger but currently the above message is the one shown. After posting on another forum section here, I have been assured that none of the problems I face involve malware. Thank you.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Quari, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor.

Let me know if this worked. Cool :whistling:

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 23 April 2006 - 03:03 PM.

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, thanks so much for your help.

I'm going through the steps as detailed but have hit a problem when running the "chkdsk /f /r" - when attempting to run this I am told that the process cannot run because the volume is in use by another process - this asks me if I would like to schedule the check for the next reboot and so I select "Y" for yes but, upon rebooting - the screen simply delivers a similar message and returns me to my desktop after a few seconds...

Shall I carry on with the steps afterwards or is there something else I should now do? Everything else up until now has run fine. Thank you again!

Edited by Quari, 24 April 2006 - 03:23 PM.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Quari, sorry for the long wait. Kieth helped me out here, and here are the instructions:

Click start then run, type cmd then press enter

At the command prompt type fsutil dirty query c: (or the relevant drive letter). This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows not to check that particular drive on the next reboot.

Reboot, it should load to the desktop

Once Windows has loaded bring up another CMD prompt and type Chkdsk /f /r c:

This should take you through the 5 stages of the scan and will unset the dirty bit.

Finally type fsutil dirty query c and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

Let me know fi this works. Cool :whistling:

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hey, when attempting to run the above I was told that the disk was NOT DIRTY hence this part of the instructions did not run sucessfully. I continued to follow the instructions afterwards that were posted before and they were indeed successful in solving a few of the unnoticed problems of my computer, unfortunately however - the original problem concerning the "Advanced" tab still remains... :whistling:

Edited by Quari, 25 April 2006 - 11:19 AM.

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I don't like to bump but it's not that I'm not receiving replies they've just temporarily stopped.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Quari, sorry for the late reply.

After reviewing you posts, you said "internet properties" I checked out your screen shot more clearly and it is your internet connection properties that you have a problem with. What would you like to do??? The Advance tab gives you options to share your internet connection and to set your windows firewall.

Try opening your properties windows for "Local Area Connection" (Your network properties) and the goto the advanced tab there. The options you see in "BT Broadband" you will be able to see in your "Local Area Connection" Properties.

Let me know if it works. :whistling:

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, I'm trying to get my Nintendo WiFi USB Connector working and I need to be able to acess that particular tab for internet sharing properties - it seems the one you suggested only shows Firewall Settings on my computer - is there no other solution? There are other connections on my computer and I've tried clicking their "Advanced" tabs and there is no crash - they also present the options I need to acess for the BT Broadband connection - the same options that were absent from the method suggested by going through the LAN. There must be an error somewhere for it to immediatley crash whenever I click on the tab...

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Quari, 29 April 2006 - 07:59 AM.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again Quari, try and add a new connection.

On the left there is like a menu, click on "Create a new connection".

Cool :whistling:

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hey! That seems to have worked - I've set up a separate BT connection for when I connect to the internet using my Nintendo DS but not made it my default so that the rest of my family can connect through the existing one! Thanks!