Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router Problem

• Please log in to reply

DeadlyRuler

DeadlyRuler

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After reseting my router to factory defaults, my router has stopped working. The internet works only when the dsl box is plugged in. I have tried reinstalling my router, but on the 3rd step of the setup process it sais it cannot connect to the internet with the router. Then it sais try resetting the router to factory defaults. My broadband connection works just fine, but my local area connection sais it has limited or no connectivity. I am using a Linksys router (model WRT54G). Does anyone know why my router willl not work?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi DeadlyRuler,

Sometimes after you reset your devices they can become muddled. Try the following:

Reset your router to factory defaults (again :whistling:)
  • Power off your computer(s).
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Press / hold down the Reset button located on your router, until the lights start to flash randomly.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until the modem is completely restarted before the next step. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer.
Now, powercycle your equipment:
  • Power off your computer(s).
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Shutdown / unplug your router.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until the modem is completely restarted before the next step. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your router. Wait until the router completely restarts. This also can take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer.
If you're still having issues, try WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then type the following commands:
  • netsh winsock reset catalog
  • netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reboot and test.

Also, ensure you're setting up your connection properly --
Run the Network Setup Wizard:
  • Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Setup Wizard.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and then click Next.
  • Read the 'Before you continue....' message, and then click Next.
  • Select the option This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or another computer on my network, and then press Next.
  • Now, type in a Description for your computer; ie: Jimmy's Computer.
  • Enter a Computer Name (or leave it as it's Default), and then press Next.
  • Enter a Workgroup Name -- or leave it as it's default, and then press Next.
  • If you want to share files and/or your printer with other computers on the network, select the option Turn on file and printer sharing and press Next.
  • Check the information; if it is all fine, press Next.