Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb port not working

• Please log in to reply

smoozey

smoozey

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a computer that had come with lindows. I uninstalled lindows and installed windowes 2000 pro. When I try to install a printer into the usb port it wont install. I bought another printer thinking it might be the printer but, the new one will not install. I don't think that the usb is somehow unplugged or uninstalled.

the motherboard is: MS-6378X-L ver.3

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi smoozey...

Take a look in Device Manager. Do you see any yellow ? or ! in the USB catagory?

wannabe1

smoozey

smoozey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank your for your reply!

I have yellow ? under other devices & video controller

not on usb root hub

or usb universal host controller

and

a red X on the second usb universsal host controller

not a second usb root hub at all

Edited by smoozey, 24 April 2006 - 02:15 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the cd that came with your motherboard?

smoozey

smoozey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Do you have the cd that came with your motherboard?

Thank your for your reply!

I have yellow ? under other devices & video controller

not on usb root hub

or usb universal host controller

and

a red X onther second usb universsal host controller

not a second usb root hub at all

smoozey

smoozey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don"t have the cd. I tried to look for a down load but, didn't find.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download, install, and run Everest on your machine. Save a report to the desktop, zip it (right click on it, point to "Send to", and choose "Compressed folder"), and attach it to your next reply. I'll see if I can round you up some drivers.

smoozey

smoozey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm sure this is not what you wanted. When I went to Everest it said that it had expired and sent me else- where. I did what I THOUGHT you might b e talking about. From there it gets worse, I don't have or don't know how to zip a file. If this is not what you wanted then please gide me again(Romper-Room syle).

Thanks, C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\log

Edited by smoozey, 24 April 2006 - 06:20 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...that won't help me.

Click on the Everest link in my signature at the bottom of each of my replies. The download should start automatically. I just downloaded the file, so I know this download is good. Double click on the downloaded file to install Everest.

Double click the icon for Everest puts on the desktop to run the program. Once it has run, click on the Report icon in the Everest toolbar to generate a report...just keep clicking next (use the default settings). Save the report by clicking on the "Save to file" icon...choose "desktop" from the dropdown menu, and click "Save".

It wall save a folder on the desktop named "Report". Right click on that folder, point to "Send to" and select "Compressed (Zipped) Folder". This will create another folder with a zipper on it.

Use the Browse button under the text box when you reply to navigate to that zipped folder, select it, and click the "Add This Attachment" button.

Click on "Add Reply".