Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The © at the bottom of a website?

• Please log in to reply

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Hi there,

With the © at the bottom of peoples websites, what do the following mean...

1) What does All Rights Reserved mean?
2) On your own website can you say © yourwebsite 2002 - 2006. All Rights Reserved

:whistling:

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
This should help you....

http://www.bitlaw.co...et/webpage.html

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok, ive had a look through, but can you like go on to google images, type in something and put thet image on your site?

Also, can you like go to a news website, and copy images from the latest news and put them on your website, or would you have to say, images from bbc etc?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Legally no... would they prosecute you if you did? Don't know, but do you want to take the chance. Unless of course the image they are using is public domain.

But if it is an image from a news story, there is a good chance SOMEONE owns a copyright to it...

You could display it and probably get away with it if you was to add credit for the photo to it's original creator.

But again, best bet is to contact them and ask if that is acceptable.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok,

So its best to create your own images.

But what about if you want an image of a car and you put it into google and then put it on your website for like a few weeks, would that be ok?

Also, what about if you wanted to put a video on your website like from google videos? Would you be allowed?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Ok,

So its best to create your own images.

But what about if you want an image of a car and you put it into google and then put it on your website for like a few weeks, would that be ok?

Also, what about if you wanted to put a video on your website like from google videos? Would you be allowed?

I would check Google's TOA or usage rules to find that out...

Your question about the car I am not tracking on.... if the car is a photo and not YOUR photo, regardless of where you get it, it technically shouldn't be used, for a week or even a minute unless you contact the copyright holder.

I am not an attorney or legal person, these are what I can gather from what I have read and experienced.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok,

These are my last questions...

1) Are you allowed to go on to a news website, see the headlines and just put on your website in a headlines box, then headlines but in your own words?

2) Also say if a new music video is out, are you allowed to say the new music video by ... is out and go here to view it. And the link like goes to yahoo music or sumpthing?

Liadan

Liadan

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
You can get a subscription at
www.clipart.com

You can use any of their clipart and photos, royalty free.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
See Allsortshop's related post at:

Putting games and stuff on your website?

Ron

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can generally copy 2-3 paragraphs of a story as long you link to the source. It depends on the length of the story, and the paragraphs, but that's a good rule of thumb.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Couldn't you just put the story in your own words?