Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot problem XP home edition

• Please log in to reply

LexTalionis

LexTalionis

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
After recently restoring my computer I cannot get Windows to boot at all. Or rather I can't get the OS to boot from the Hard Disk. It would yesterday but it won't now. I am using a Windows 2000 boot disk to load XP.
(I actually thought Windows hadn't recovered and was going to use this boot disk to install XP PRO from CD.. when I booted from the 2000 disk it went straight to the XP home loading screen. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on there??

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi LexTalionis...

When you try booting to the HDD, how far does it get before it fails?

wannabe1

LexTalionis

LexTalionis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It doesn't get anywhere... it doesn't attempt to boot at all.... If i set it to boot from CD or floppy first it will attempt to do that until it says failure (with no disk in) then just do nothing.. no error.. nothing.

With the startup disk in it reads that happily and then goes to the windows load screen.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like a corrupt MBR or boot.ini.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click on the "Advanced" tab and, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. Click the "Edit" button and Copy/Paste the contents of the notepad window here for me.

LexTalionis

LexTalionis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The boot.ini is good.

If you can't boot to the cd, you'll need the XP Startup Disk Set to access Recovery Console so we can repair the MBR. This will require 6 floppy disks.

Download the Boot Disk Set (links about half way down the page) for your operating system (SP1-SP2) and create the Startup set.

Use them to boot the machine. When you get to the "Welcome to Setup" screen, select the operating system to repair (you should have only 1 choice), and press R then "Enter. On the next screen, press F8. At the Admin password prompt, enter your password or just press "Enter" if you have not set one.

At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each:

fixboot

fixmbr

exit

Remove the floppy from the drive and restart. Let me know if this helps.

LexTalionis

LexTalionis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
B-I-N-G-O!

Thankyou very much for your assistance, I hate relying on floppies to do anything.

Cheers.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help out! :whistling:

wannabe1