Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME Slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Tina S

Tina S

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have gone through the instructions and done everything as suggested and my computer is still extremely slow - especially upon start-up. I have downloaded and run the HiJackThis log as instructed. I am somewhat of a computer novice (okay, I am an extreme computer novice), so any suggestions and help are very much appreciated.

HiJackThis Log:

Removed HJT log

I was unable to run a scan as it asked me to download a java applet thing for the Trend one and the Panda one continued giving me errors.

Also, I am running the McAfee Virus program as supplied by COmcast. Is this part of the probelm in thr slowdown as you can tell it?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Tina

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Tina S and welcome to G2G!

Looks like to may be infected with some Malware, however i'm not a Malware expert.
Follow the instructions in this > http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html thread and if you still have the same issue please start a new thread in the malware removal forum located here > http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 25 April 2006 - 09:33 AM.

deb306

deb306

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Hello Tina,

In my opinion, McAfee is a piece of junk if your operating system is ME. I know that's a hard pill to swallow because of their reputation of being one of the TOP Antivirus programs, but I would have to say YES, McAfee is part of your problem, it was for my system anyways, in fact, I had purchased their program and after running it I truly believe that they helped in giving me more Viruses. After I explained the problems I was having from their program, they refunded all of my money and after I uninstalled McAfee, my system ran much better, although I had other problems too. It also sounds like your infested with god only knows what, it also sounds like you need a Registry Clean and Cleaner. I have a article I received from Downloads.com I can give you on how to use a cleaner that was suggested from one of their Experts for your system, if you give me your E-mail addy I will forward it to you, it greatly helped me with cleaning my registry and other things that needed a cleanup.

Tina, if you don't have any good Spyware programs running on your system, that can also pose a problem. Another thing that can slow your system down are large files, like music or videos, you know things like that. Do a "Thorough Scan Disk" and "Defrag", that also helps. When you do a Defrag, do it on both the "C" and "D" drives.

All of the above helped my system to run really well.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Tina has moved on to the Malware Removal forum for help. This thread is now closed.

Everyone else, remember that only trained staff members should be replying to malware/spyware/virus/trojan related threads.

ScHwErV :whistling: