Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hidden fax window

• Please log in to reply

sano

sano

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi to all - you do a wonderful job here and help so many people.
I am having a shut down problem which has only occurred once.
On "start" "shutdown" i get the "end now" or "cancel" option for a program similar to "hddn fax window" - when i click "end now" my pc won't shut down unless i hold on/off button for 5 seconds or so. When i reboot or start up for the next session it runs a system check - this happened on my last pc before it eventually died.
I have deleted the fax icon from "printers and other software", should this fix my problem? or should i delete any related file?
I do not and will not need any fax for this pc.

A big thank you in advance for any assistance.
I have read numerous posts and greatly benefitted from your previous advice to others.

PS i run winpatrol and there is nil in the start up programs , but fax - fxssvc.exe shows in the services part but is disabled. a search shows this file in system 32.

Edited by sano, 25 April 2006 - 12:17 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start, control panel, add / remove, add / remove windows components

Remove the tick for fax services, if present, click apply

[attachment=8093:attachment]

sano

sano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks, have now done this. :whistling: i should have tried this.
Thank you for your time.
You ppl are the greatest