Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with video card or something else?

• Please log in to reply

Lotos

Lotos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I've had this problem for a couple of months, but now it became just unbearable. After using my computer for a couple of minutes, first my screen starts blinking (turns black and then shows up again). Then, it just completely freezes and I cannot do anything after that but to restart the machine. I need to leave it for a couple of minutes to cool down to be able to turn it back on again. So, I was thinking it is my video card that is causing this problem. My card is GF4 Ti4200-8x OTES from Abit. First I noticed problems with the card when I was playing games, the graphics would just go crazy and I would see black lines across the screen while playing after some time. When I bought the card, there was no such problem, but after a year, it started happening. Now, I am thinking of getting a new video card, but I am not sure if maybe something else may be causing this, not the card?

Help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – Lotos [Video Card Problem]
25th April 2006

Lotos – Welcome to – Geeks to Go –

After using my computer for a couple of minutes, first my screen starts blinking (turns black and then shows up again). Then, it just completely freezes and I cannot do anything after that but to restart the machine.

Several causes –
1- Check/verify Video Card Fan is operating correctly
2- Check Temperatures & Voltages

Need to know Make & Model # of PSU & Motherboard You can download Free Home Edition of Everest to locate sme of information and to measure Temperatures – Fan Speed - & Voltages -
http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

If Power Supply has marginal 12V output when it heats up would be another cause
Check CPU Fan Assembly for proper Fan Operation and for severe – Dust Buildup -

Video Card
http://www.pcextreme...luro-otes8x.php

Jack123

Lotos

Lotos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I checked the fans for the video card and CPU, and they are all working. I also have 4 other case fans working non-stop. The temperature of my CPU is 52C (126F) and for the motherboard 28C (82F). I do not know if this is bad or good. I cannot see the temperature of my video card's GPU though. My motherboard is Asus P4P800S. CPU is Intel Pentium 4, 2600 MHz (13 x 200). Total memory I have is 1022 MB. I do not know what to do now, buy a new video card or not?

Your help is appreciated.