Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W32.Polip Virus and restoring deleted files

• Please log in to reply

xager8on

xager8on

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I use Norton Anti-virus. After receiving this annoying virus, Norton AV tried to Repair the *.exe and*.scr files that were affected. It couldnt repair them, so the only option was to quarantine them. Unbeknowest to me, my first virus, I deleted those files from the quarantined area. Some of the files that were deleted from my system due to the quarantine were Internet Explorer, System Restore, regedit, etc.

The question is what is the best way to restore windows files that were delete? Recovery process (assuming of course that you get this option) or thru windows and reinstalling?

In addition, after Norton AV quarantineed these files, I scanned the HDs in Safe mode and Normal. Nothing found. Then all of a sudden, Norton AV found another W32.Polip infected file. I am curremtly doing another scan and so far it has found 2 files that are infected.

Should I just wipe the HD and reinstall a clean system?

Edited by xager8on, 25 April 2006 - 11:17 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi xager8on...

Let's let the malware experts deal with this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1