Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to fix friends pc with mahy problems

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Guess it's time to stop messing around... :whistling:

Boot with disk one and keep feeding it disks until it finally loads up a "Welcome to setup" screen. At this screen press R. On the Agreement screen, press F8. On the next, select the operating system to repair (you should have only one) and press R. This should take you to a command prompt. Let me know when you're there.

Advertisements

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
%windir% kept coming up with "not recognized as an internal or external command"etc etc ..ok..onto the floppies

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're going to replace the registry hive. This should start the machine, but it may not be pretty. We'll hope that there is a restore point waiting for us...if not, at least you should be able to recover the data.

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines exactly as they are below, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
done....it didnt restart the setup but now all i have is a black screen

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Believe it or not, that's progress! :whistling:

Hopefully this removed a good portion of the malware out of the registry...I think that was a big part of the problem.

Using the cd this time, boot into Recovery Console the same way you did with the floppies. Once at the command prompt, type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, Get back to command prompt and type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

If sfc /scannow won't run, move on to the chkdsk /r and run that. Try to boot to Windows.

If that won't start the machine, run the Repair again, but make sure the Lan is disabled in BIOS and the Default is still set. There should still be a viable Windows installation on the machine.

Let me know how you make out...

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
i have to go into the bios first and cahnage the boot sequence first, to cd drive right?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you didn't change it to boot from the floppies, it should still be set. BUT I'd like for you to double check that the LAN is still disabled and the BIOS is still set to Default...reset it if you are unsure.

Also...are your mouse and keyboard connected via USB? If they are, if you have a PS2 keyboard and mouse available, I'd use them if you end up running the repair. Alternatively, you could unhook the keyboard and mouse during the repair...after you get it started and have finished with the part that requires their use. That may help you get past that magic 34 minute mark.

Edited by wannabe1, 27 April 2006 - 11:08 PM.

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
hi, I haven't done a repair yet..i got to the prompt and did the chkdsk ..and noticed that the moitor kept going from green on light to amber........if i turned it off then on i had no signal...muat ne faulty......i had to reboot after chkdsk so i changed the monitor and i now have windows screen back up with all the original users and their log on pictures/passwords whicj i had previoely deleted right at the start of all this. Now i'm not sure what to do......run repair again/a clean install/get rid of all the users like i did b4 leaving just the one that i used at the start to clean off all the old programs??????????????

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
ps, the screen looks crap...kind of dotty, but i can see :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Told you it wouldn't be pretty.... :whistling:

Check and see if there is a system restore point, but don't restore the machine yet. That point, if there, will have that wonderful collection of nasties in it...but, it will also bring the machine a little closer to where we need to be. Just let me know if there is a point to restore to.

Advertisements

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
hey, i can't check at the moment..remember i said the monitor died and i got another?..well it aint the monitor...it's the video card cause the 2nd monitor is doing the same thing....green light to orange to no signal.
maybe that nvidia install part of setup caused the prob?...anyway the tower is being pulled apart as we speak to check the card...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Will it boot to the BIOS screen? See if you can change the setting there to reanable the nVidia or set it to run in VGA mode until we get the video issue sorted out.

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
yeah i can get to the bios...we are debating that if its the card you cant see the bios/can see the bios......ok...we just removed the card..monitor back up.......detected ne hardware(vga) no sofware...(rolling my eyes)...anyway..screeen is all nice and clear again and YES there is a checkpoint created today in system restore

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't think that one will help...That's your current configuration.

Using the current logons (Users), can you access files and programs?

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
yes, i got into my documents/my pictures/windows movie maker/power dvd/paint