Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with computer slowing down

• Please log in to reply

alexsss

alexsss

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My laptop ... Dell Inspiron 6000, about 5 months old, in the last week or so began to be so slow and if I am listening to music or anything and try to open the internet it goes so slow and skips so much, and a lot of the time just skips on its own. The internet is going so much slower, even just opening up a microsoft word file is so slow. Today twice a blue screen came up and said a system error had occurred and to restart it if it was the first time I saw this message, I did and the same thing came up. It worked later and said, recovered from major system failure, or something like that. The speed is still such a problem. And also like opening a CD file I had been listening to on my computer for a while now all of a sudden half the songs do not work.

Thanks a ton, verry frusterated and not too computer savvy myself.

Alex

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you download music from internet like LIME WIRE

they slow your computer down

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi alexsss....

Could be heat...could be malware...sounds a lot like a HDD that's headed South.

Does it seem to run better after being off for a while and then get progressively worse the longer it runs?

wannabe1

alexsss

alexsss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Not really, it is prett consistently slow. Last night I got and ran ad-aware SE and CWShredder, and TrojanHunter and still have to figure out how to get the Windows XP SP2 package. Then that should help; right? And from their if not I'll do the log thing. One of these forums saved my gfs laptop over the last few weeks so hopefully I'll b alright ater some work.

I downloaded with Soul Seek.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi alexsss...

Try running Disk Cleanup from System Tools. Then run the Disk Defragmenter...also found in System Tools.

You can download this IT Version of SP2, save it to disk, and install it from there. I would also recommend that you burn the downloaded file to a cd so you won't have to download SP2 again.

Let me know if these steps help...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 26 April 2006 - 10:31 AM.

alexsss

alexsss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry Im computer slow, I know how to find defragmentation by right clicking on the C drive and going to Properties: Tools. But I don't know where to find the disk clean-up option.

Thanks for such quick replies, greatly appreciated.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You find it the same way, only it's under the "General" tab...right under the pie chart that shows drive space.

alexsss

alexsss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks did the disk clean up, defragmenting now. Seems to be running a little quicker but not really. I wish you could hear my itunes play, it skips so bad and sounds so [bleep] and its all of a sudden I really have no idea what it is, because Windows Media Player will play the same songs and it will sound fine.

After I defragment I'll get that SP2, I don't have bad popups, doesn't seem like a virus, so I don't need to be scared of Malware stuff, specially after running all those other cleaning/help programs right?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Even the best scanners won't find all the malware on a machine. It takes a trained eye to do that. I would suggest that before installing SP2, you visit our Malware Forum and have them make sure there is nothing in there that would cause problems while installing the Service Pack.

Malware may also be the reason your machine is running so slow and showing other problems.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.