Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lower Latency

• Please log in to reply

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Is there a way to lower latency? When I play games, my latency is around 250 to 300. I am running a DSL connection connected to a router. Any help much appreciated.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can fordward your ports.

Possible

Possible

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey,

Yep, I did that using Applications (Dlink router) and i even opened DMZ and still no go.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
First off, what game(s)? if its counterstrike or cs source, make sure you have your rate set properly, hit the ~ key itll open the ingame console. Then type rate, it should hihghlight below the console as to what your rate is set to. Set it to 7500. And if its any other game make sure you have it set properly to your connection speed. Or just try to find lower latency servers.
-P.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Proximity is an important factor to ping, sending the information 10,000 miles and back will result in relativley high pings 200-300 depending on connection speed and server response, a server only a mile away will give you a latency as if you were almost connected straight into it. Also depends on the game lots of strategy games dont have the greatest online system as latencies arent as important as in FPS 200-300 is normal for RTS games. FPS 30-70 is normal.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Is there a way to lower latency? When I play games, my latency is around 250 to 300. I am running a DSL connection connected to a router. Any help much appreciated.

It can be many factors...

Where do you live??? If you are in a foreign country and you try to play on US servers your ping can be 200-300.

Routers themselves can make the pings in the server lists appear higher than they actually are in the real game after you load the map...

Your isp can even be the problem....

Other people in your house can be the blame also, if they are downloading or playing other games it can make your pings goto 300, its quite normal on slower dsl/cable lines...

You can try just to plug the modem directly to your pc just to see if the problem is gone. If the pings are better and the problems are gone then its got to be the router or either other people on your line because when you use a router your sharing your connection..

You can try and update the firmware on the router, its really simple. Just goto the manufacturers web site and follow the instructions on your model router....

Possible

Possible

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi All,

Thank you for all your suggestions.

p-zero: I am playing counter strike 1.5. When I am in the game I do what you said correct? I will defiantly try that, I had no idea you can do that. Thanks.

I am not sure where this server is, I am in Canada and the server is treshna Enterprises I think. Any servers I play on I have this problem.

I am the only one that is playing the games, there is another computer, but it's mostly off (parents). I think it may be the ISP also, I am going to bypass the router and go directly and see if that made a difference.

Firmware is already updated on the router.

Thanks again jrm20, warriorscot and p-zero. Will try everything I let you know.

Cheers