Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display problem

• Please log in to reply

CgrGrl

CgrGrl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm having a problem with the settings or something on my computer. When windows boots up, everything looks normal, but when windows starts everything is elongated and off to the side. There is a centimeter of black on one side of the monitor and I can't see my tool bar at the bottom. My desktop is a picture of my kids and their heads are long and skinny. I tried a system restore which didn't work. When I turned off the computer last night everything was perfectly fine. Other than the dimension problem, the computer is working fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi CgrGrl...

Have you tried adjusting the display using the controls on the monitor?

wannabe1

CgrGrl

CgrGrl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried, but I can't get those to work. I've thought about hooking our other monitor to the computer to see if that helps.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on the desktop and choose "Properties". Under the "Settings" tab, what is the Screen Resolution set to?

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
You have to change the resolution. Right click on the desktop, then in the menu click properties, then click settings. On the bottom portion of the screen youll see a slider bar that will say display settings or something like that. Try setting it to 1024x768 click apply, the screen should flicker for a sec then itll ask you if you want to keep these settings if everything looks normal click ok, if not try different resolutions->800x600, 1200x1600 are the most common.
-P.

Edited by p-zero, 26 April 2006 - 11:00 AM.

CgrGrl

CgrGrl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All changing the resolution did was make my screen bigger or smaller. The entire windows screen is still long and off to the side.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This still sounds like the monitor adjustments...

What kind of computer is this...desktop? Laptop? Make and model number?

CgrGrl

CgrGrl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The computer is a MSI KM4AM-V, and it's a desktop. I tried pushing the buttons on my monitor and nothing is happening. Usually an adjustment screen comes up when I do that. I'm thinking about trying my son's monitor.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That would make sense... :whistling:

CgrGrl

CgrGrl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It worked! I guess my old monitor is dying. Thanks so much!

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Yeah, old monitors and go all of a sudden. I had an old trusty that lasted 5 years and then *POOF*. That's when I decided to upgrad to an LCD. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to lend a hand... :whistling: