Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger error message....can't open

• Please log in to reply

felidave

felidave

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi:

I am posting this from my computer at work because my home PC is fried! I don't know what is going on. I keep getting this "Dr. Watson postmortem debugger" message when i first turn on my computer stating that windows explorer has experienced a problem and needs to close. Then the computer freezes and I cannot even click on anything. Sometimes it allows me to click on an icon, but then the dreaded Dr. watson message pops up again. i tried to go into the system restore function of windows XP, but it does not even let me click on that. The little windows icon associated with those functions don't even show. it is as though it can't run anything related to windows.

I tried using my system recovery CD from the manufacturer (its a Sony VAIO), but that did not work either. The only thing that works properly is when I press CTRL+ALT+DELETE. But then I have no idea what to do from there.

I am not an experienced user, but I need help. I have looked at previous "resolved" forums posted by other users regarding this subject, but it looks very complicated and, to be honest I can't even click on anything in my computer, much less download prigrams and run files.

Can anyone please help me..........I am desperate!

thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi felidave...

Let's see if we can pinpoint what happened. I'll give you enough in one bite to get the machine running if it's what I think it is. You might want to print this out.

It sounds like something has changed the .exe file association. Try two commands from Task Manager to verify this.

From Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), click "File" and choose "New Task". Type cmd in the run box and press "Enter". Does this bring up the command window? If no, try cmd.exe and press "Enter"...how about now.

If the second command does bring up the window. We'll need to try to get to the Registry Editor using Windows Explorer...From Task Manager/New Task, type explorer.exe and press "Enter". Does Windows Explorer open?

If yes, in the left pane, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32 (click on System32), locate and double click on the regedt32.exe icon. This should open the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor opens, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. If the value (under the Data column) is not Explorer.exe, double click on Shell, type Explorer.exe in the Value Data field, and click "Ok".

Close all open windows and reboot.

Do your programs now open?

wannabe1

felidave

felidave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for taking the time to help me. i will print this out and try it tonight when I get home.
I will post another reply as soon as I know more.

thanks much

felidave

felidave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you wannabe1:

I did exactly as you said and it seems to have worked! Thank you so much!.

i just now hope the dreaded message does not come up again. It seems to be working fine.

Can ask ask you to recommend what I can do to keep my system free of errors, spyware and malware or viruses?

Are there any particular programs that I can download or purchase to keep my system running in top shape?

I'd like to know what I can do to continuously scan my system for errors and garbage that can cause problems.

i'd really appreciatte your expert advice.

thanks, thanks so much again!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:blink: I like it when a plan comes together!

The problem you had can be caused by any number of things the most usual are an uninstall that went a little badly or malware.

I would suggest you visit our Malware Forum. There are many programs available for download there that we both use and recommend. With the problem you just recovered from, I would advise against running any registry cleaners such as Cleanup until you have had one of our experts look your machine over.

Your best defense is common sense. Be careful what you download and where you download it from. A good Anti-Virus is essential. Avast! and AVG are both very good and are free. If you want a very good one, look into purchasing Nod32. Spyware applications are also a must. I use AdAware Personal and Spybot Search & Destroy...both are free.

I'm glad I was able to help! :whistling:

wannabe1

felidave

felidave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok, thanks. One last think, would you recommend ewido antivirus (www.ewido.net) , i have noticed some of you guys mention it a lot in the forums.

thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Ewido Suite is a fine protection suite. Many of the techs here recommend it highly. Nod32 is also very highly rated around here.

If you want to gather opinions in a hurry, start a topic in Comments and Suggestions and ask for opinions on which is better.

You might also give Firefox a try for browsing...I like it better than anything else I've tried.

wannabe1