Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bin file & added a CD Write Drive

• Please log in to reply

Romeyrome

Romeyrome

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have two questions. I added a cd rw drive to my computer that's using windows 98. It's a emachine. I'm unable to use the floppy disk drive. What can I do? I also downloaded limewire, which was in a bin format might I add. What program can I use to open and run a bin file?

Thanks!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Put the file on the floppy onto another computer that has a cd-rw and burn a cd with the other computer. Or use another computer to transfer the file to a USB flash drive and then put it on your computer. You can buy a flash drive pretty cheap now. If you cant find anyone with a computer a good shop should do it rather cheaply.

The file extensions(bin, cue,iso) are commonly used to show that a file is an image of a CD or DVD.

The most simple way to access these files is to use your CD or DVD Burner to burn them to a disk. Nero is a common program that is used to burn bin/cue files to hard media.

One really nice thing to do is to treat these files as a virtual CD or DVD without ever burning them. Daemon Tools Daemon-tools is one program that is often used to do this.

Microsoft now has a free program that does this as well.

http://www.tech-reci...ws_tips620.html

The other place that *.bin files are frequently used are in emulation software. Gaming roms are often stored in compressed files full of bin files. If you have a zip file full of *.bin files, try Mame or some similiar emulator.

SRX660