Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup waaaay slow. 4:45 to go.

• Please log in to reply

tgfny

tgfny

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Going to the bush. Which ones can I disable? 1. With no internet accesss 2. with access? Speed in loading is the thing. This is ridiculous with limited batt life.
Msconfig startup file. Running XP w/ SP2. Sony TX series

Startup files
igfxtray
hkcmd
igfxpers
Apoint
AzMixerSel
PartSeal
isupm
issch
ccApp
ALCMTR
SNDMon
zlclient
MSASCui
avgc
surveysa
VAIOUpdt
SPMgr
PartSeal
ISBMgr
WCULauncher
msmsgs
Adobe Reader Spe
Blutooth Manager
Microsoft Office
QuickBooks Update
Spy Subtract

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

tgfny

tgfny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Unftly can't download HJT. On a 486 in a hotel in Botswana. Can you help me without it. Can't connect my computer to the net.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Sure...I can provide you with instructions on how to troubleshoot the problem and then solve it yourself, but without the internet, this procedure of troubleshooting can take quite a while. :whistling:

If you can get the internet, post the HJT log. Otherwise, follow these instructions:

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the slow boot occur? If not, continue with the next part. If so, STOP and report back to me.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the slow boot occur? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.
Does the slow boot occur? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the slow boot, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back.

tgfny

tgfny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Diagnostic startup in less than a minute. When i tried the selective startup it tells me an access denied error was returned. AM logged in as Admin.

tgfny

tgfny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Do I really lose anything by running it in diagnostic mode until i get back to high speed civilization?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You lose all your startup programs, and if I remember correctly, you don't use your custom drivers. You'll be using generic ones.

I don't use diagnostic startup often, so I believe those are the only consequences.

When you "get back to high speed civilization", post that HijackThis log and I can help you much better. :whistling:

tgfny

tgfny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Back in civ on one of the Vodacom 3 G cards. Unftly while in Bots, my who system crashed and every IT guy I spoke with told me I had to reinstall windows. Lost about 20 GB of RAW images and my notes from 10 camps. Anyone you can suggest when I get back in the States to recover my lost data? Unftly, I neptoed my lap more than I need all the data, but I wanna salvage what I can. Anyway, here's my HJT log attached. Not uite as slow as I have installed no extra programs.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Recovering data is tricky. If you do anything on the computer that you need to recover files off of, you could overwrite your files, making them permanently lost.

Using a different computer, download and extract Restoration onto a floppy disk or flash drive. That way you can find out if it will even work before you go and buy an external hard drive that you could recover your lost data onto. Or if you have a large enough flash drive, that can be used to recover your data onto as well.

Put the floppy (or flash drive) with Restoration into the computer with your lost files and click on Search Deleted Files. If it finds your stuff, then go ahead and buy an external hard drive or thumb drive so you can recover your stuff onto it. (unless you already have something you can backup onto.)

If it doesn't find what you want, then it was lost :whistling:

If it does, then I will tell you about a different recovery program that can recover the files all at once, rather than one at a time like Restoration does. But this other recovery program you will have to purchase.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 07 May 2006 - 03:05 PM.

tgfny

tgfny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Just got it back with a new motherboard and a new HD. HJT log is attached. How do I get this puppy booting faster?

Attached Files