Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc shuts down

• Please log in to reply

BlackSea

BlackSea

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi friends,

I have a problem with my pc...My pc has windows server 2003 on it and web server and SQL server 2000 is running on it, and my asp.net web site running on this machine.
The problem is that when i go away from my pc for hours it shuts itself down i dont know how it never happened when i am stting front of it,...when i check event viewer logs i see nothing about the error actually there is no error logs in application, system,..logs files additionally all evets viewer logs like all applications and server services starting and shuting down without any error(error free)...

I am suspecting power suply, but also one of my friend told me that it can be cpu??....I am not good at hardware and i dont know how to diagnos and isolate this problem???? Soo confuse...

Please help because i cant go out without shuting down my machine, however i dont shut it down it shuts itself down this makes me worry about my pc hardware,.. as a secure way i always shut it down when i am going out....

Thanks
BlackSea

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Moving to Hardware because of a gut feeling, and if the experts there give you a clean bill of health, I'll move it back. The first questions they are going to ask are the system specs and heat, so try to have that info for them.

Johanna

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi BlackSea!

Just a thought, but when you mean the PC shuts down, does it turn off entirely or just go into Hibernation or Standby mode? What I mean here is that is there any power to the machine at all? Is the green power light on when you come back, do you hear any of the fans inside the computer spinning? Have you tried clicking a mouse button or hitting the ESC or ENTER key on the keyboard to try and 'wake it up'? I don't think that this is a heat issue, because most of the time with heat issues the computer just reboots itself, though if a setting in the computers BIOS/SETUP is set to power off during a failure then the entire computer could be turned if it overheats. But lets make sure we check everything and heat is as good a place as any to start.....

Download Speedfan, using the link in my signature (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the temperatures it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFanExample.JPG

BlackSea

BlackSea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
first of all sorry about posting my title to wrong site....

Hi fenor,

Actually it sometimes restarts my pc, when i get home i see the logon screen, lately it powers off(completely shuts down)...
And Sometimes my cpu fan makes weird noise in a short time, like exhausted noise...and also cpu fan is touching somewhere and making little noise(???) maybe i am wrong but all i can see thesee sypmtoms.i am keeping whatched it, in 4 hours it didnot shutdown itself yet.

I downloaded the program and i run it the result is there,...

thanks for replying

Attached Thumbnails

• resultt.JPG

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Both the 3.3V and the 12V outputs are too low - you have a bad or inadequate power supply. You need to get a new one ASAP before some hardware and/or software gets damaged !! The allowable ranges for the three voltage major rails are:

+3.3: 3.135V to 3.465v
+5: 4.75V to 5.25V
+12: 11.4V to 12.6V

If you have an OEM computer thats still under warranty you should be able to get it fixed. If its out of warranty then it may be a challenge to get a new PSU. If you have an aftermarket case then all aftermarket power supplies will fit it. I can suggest a couple of good aftermarket PSUs :

$40 - $10 430W Thermaltake TR2-430 W0070 ATX 2 FAN

$38 450W ROSEWILL RV450 ATX12V 450W 2 FAN

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Id rather go for the thermaltake, rosewill is kinda a cheap brand.

BlackSea

BlackSea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
so my hd, cpu, or other hardware has no problem?, ....
if only problem is psuply i ll buy it asap...and i ll let you guys know ...

Thank you verry much guys for helping me
Have a smily days :whistling:

BlackSea

BlackSea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
hi friends,

I got new powersupply, i install it to my pc, and it's been over 24hours my pc is not shut itself down, so looks like everything is ok so far, i guess my pc is healty again...
but i still want to send you this speed fan result just make for sure:

fan1=3196rpm
temp1:41C
temp2:32C
temp3:27C
HD0:43C

VCoreA:1.57V \ -12V: 1.79V - 1.87V
VCoreB:1.65V \ -5V: 2.59V - 2.64V
+3.3V: 3.34V \ +5VSB: 5.48V
+5V: 4.97V - 5.00V \ VBAT: 2.19V
+12V: 12.28V \

Thank you very much
Have a nice simily days :whistling:

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
The VcoreA and VcoreB lines look screwey, but the important voltages look very good now. Good luck.

Edited by WinCrazy, 30 April 2006 - 01:17 PM.

BlackSea

BlackSea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
:whistling: how can i correct them?? I have no time recently to search on google or other places , i only write this site for looking for the answer...i know that i really ignored my pc' sevice long time and this is result , .....

Thanks for help

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Those stats look fine now. All the values are in range of where they should be and since you are having no more shut down problems I wouldn't worry about it.

One thing I do want to ask though, is how many fans do you have in your computer? Not including the fan on the processors, do you have at least one fan on the front of the case and one on the back? If you don't I suggest you do so. Fans are relatively cheap, maybe $10-15 apiece. Just make sure you have one fan blowing air IN from the front of the case and one fan at the back of the case blowing air OUT and you'll be fine. Doing this will maximize the amount of AIR FLOW through the case and keep the temperatures down.

Fenor

BlackSea

BlackSea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks Friends,
I really thanks for helping, because i was soo upset about the shuting down, but not anymore thanks for helping....

Fenor, Actually i was thinking about the fans but it is good to heard that from the experts, i will do it, because my pc is running really heavy applications(sql2k,iis,d/c,dns,rras,vstudio2005...), but the case is always open and there is a big fan on the side is running for my pc and by the time for me :whistling:..
i ll get what you advised...

Thank you very much...
Have a smily days :blink:

aldwin

aldwin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi guys!, my pc also reboots alot. and I tried formatting and reinstalling os, but nothing works. then I tried SpeedFan and heres the reults.

Tell me, what do I need to do. thanks

kinda looks bad, but I dont quite understand it, so can anyone help me.
http://img54.imagesh...ntitled7cd1.jpg

Edited by aldwin, 15 May 2006 - 08:35 AM.