Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with outlook

• Please log in to reply

den01

den01

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

I had setup all my contacts in Outlook 2003 by categories view, and everything was fine for years.

Well for some reason my daughter was playing on the comp and it seems that something is wrong as now (in last few days) my contacts always opens on “Address card” view which I really hate. Also, I am able to change in to view I want (by categories) but now every time I have to do that and I can not find what I have to do to make it as before.

For the info, I have XP pro, with the office 2003; there is no any malware as I regularly check my comp with everything advised as on malware forum.

Thank you for help. I know this is not something urgent, but after years working on one way – this is very annoying.

Regards,

Den

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
When you go to "GO" is contacts checked? If you want it open to mail, check mail.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Coachwife and thanks for reply,

well, I am using the outlook like for 10 years, and even if I format the new comp, or reinstall office, or move PST data, or… I am quite familiar with the outlook. And I am always able to make “categories” view stays my default view.

But now I can not see what I am missing? When I open the outlook it always go to mail (inbox); but if I click on contacts that screen opens with the “Address Card” view which I don’t like at all. When I try to change the view to “categories” – it goes fine – so problem is that for some reason it doesn’t stays in “categories” view as next time goes again on “Address Card” view.

After all this years I thought that I know my outlook, but… I think that with the office itself is everything OK (I am using only outlook and word anyway). There is probably way to make “categories” view as default, but I am not sure what – maybe to reinstall office?

Thanks.

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Sorry – my fault – I run Inbox Repair Tool and now its OK.

Den

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

I run Inbox Repair Tool

<<where is that? never heard of that. I am just happy you worked it out. :whistling:

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

Its here: Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\Scanpst.exe

Run scanpst.exe if you have problems with the pst data file. It will correct the faults and outlook will run OK.

Buy

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Buy?????? sorry.

i meant "bye"

Den

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

if you have problems with the pst data file

<<OK, I have had problems with the pst data file before and fixed it, but I didn't know that was what it was called. Every time I have a problem with Outlook, I learn something new. I love it, but it has so many options. thanks again and good luck. :whistling:

Bye!

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I love it, but it has so many options.

True. I like outlook – much better in my opinion than express or anything else.