Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too many (4 me) useless staff

• Please log in to reply

den01

den01

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

One quick question: a few weeks ago I both a laptop for my daughter, a cheap one but I think not bad (http://www.pcworld.c...duct/seo/985192); there is a lot of (in my opinion) useless staff on it, so would you please help my to uninstall all things that are not essential. I mean for her essentials are just utilities and open office (and some players – nothing else)

I would like special advice on Realteck AC’97 Audio, which size of 2,024MB (which size I can see through add/remove programs) I find absolutely ridiculous. On my home PC same Realteck is less that 2MB. So, what is right?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Den

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats more than it should use its just a driver and a sound management app, it may be an error you can reinstall it if you go get the driver the current one i think is 3.86.

Apps wise, we dont know whats on the system, all you need really is an anti virus(something like avast or AVG is good), adaware SE is a good choice for spyware protection, players winamp is my favourite and its the most fully featured of all the players available. Open office or office whatever you use, apart from that you can remove everything but the hardware drivers. If you want someone to check what stuff you can safely remove just give us a list of the stuff you want to uninstall and we can tell you if its good to go or not.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

Well there is a lot of stuff for dvd/cd editing, cd case printings, bla this bla that – this is probably good staff for someone that is using it… so I have just remove everything…

Of course, I have leave everything related to the drivers, and for software just: openoffice, avg, spybot, ad-aware, cleanup and zonealarm. Laptop is running really good. Hope it will stay that way.

Well for the Realteck AC’97 Audio I have created restore point and try to reinstall it – but there is no change: still 2GB???? I cannot believe it!

Den

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It mught just be an error in the size detection it wont really be 2Gb.