Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware on computer (I think)

• Please log in to reply

nparab

nparab

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

I am running Win XP Home edition from the C: drive of my computer. There is another partition D: on which certain files have suddenly appeared two days back.

A folder by the name "a575b0727d5ddcce010e599889c1" has been created with the sub-folders "common", "sp1" and "sp2" inside of it.

Inside "common" there are files:

eula.txt,
spcustom.dll,
spmsg.dll,
spuninst (Windows Service Pack Uninstall),
update (Windows Service Pack Setup)

Inside "sp1" and "sp2" folders there are a lot of dlls (eg. browser.dll, callcont.dll) and "update" sub-folders.

If I try to delete any of these folders, they are read-only. When I try to change permissions and press "Apply", they still show as read-only.

If I try to delete any of the files inside the folders, I get this message: "Cannot delete browser.dll. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not in use".

I just want to know if these are malware files.

BTW, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my computer's functioning.

I have scanned for adware using Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. I also have Spywareblaster installed and protecting against adware.

Please let me know if this is some kind of malware, or is it part of the "Automatic Upgrades" feature of Win XP.

Thank You & Best Regards,
Nilesh

Edited by nparab, 29 April 2006 - 10:07 AM.

Advertisements

teacup61

teacup61

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hello there nparab,

I found a LOT on this, and what you're seeing appears to be legit from Microsoft. Here's but one discussion of many:

http://forumz.tomsha...pict197446.html

:whistling:

tea

nparab

nparab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello tea,

Thanks for your help and reply. I also read some of the Windows Autoupdate logs in my c:\windows folder and found the directory name inside one of the logs. So these files indeed seem legit like you said.

Thanks Again & Best Regards,
Nilesh