Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Should I Buy?

• Please log in to reply

Verbannen

Verbannen

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello!

I work for a small business (an ice cream store) that does prtty well, other than the fact our old computer from 98 quit on us. One of the other managers has donated her computer since she has a new one, but is having it wiped first. I've been intrusted to look into new software for the computer, and I wondered what would be best for what we do.

The basic things we need are:

1. Some program for scheduling
2. A database that tracks your orders or something and tells us when our payments are due and keeps a log of our suppliers
3. A program we can type up customer orders and it keeps track of them
4. Basic computing

I'm sure you guys know of some software programs that will fit my needs. The computer is has Microsoft XP Professional SP2. Any cheap ideas for us? Thanks a lot!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There are many programs made just for businesses. Some are very good such as Peachtree accounting. I use it with my business. The one thing bad about peachtree is that someone will have to sit down and learn how to use the program. It is very powerful and can do many varied tasks. There are also custom built programs for POS (Point Of Sale)computers like the one selling on Ebay below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have seen this system in use and its quite easy to use.

http://denverresearc...S/posRest.shtml

another i have seen but not used myself is this one.

http://www.sunsoftouch.net/

It would be nice if you used a POS system that could integrate with your accounting software, so you might check that any software you do use has those options.

There is also the Quickbooks program which i have but have not started using yet. I just wanted to try it and see if it was any better than peachtree. So far i dont see it as being any easier than peachtree, so it is another high learning curve software before you become proficient with it.

I would not recomend microsoft office for your type of business. Its just not a specific type of program a small POS type business could use well.

One thing to remember is that real cheap POS software is just that. Maybe too cheap to do the job right.

SRX660