Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

important files exist, but don't...

• Please log in to reply

pj1115

pj1115

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey everyone i locked and hid my "C:\Documents and settings\*USER*" folder using a program called "Folder Lock 5.3.1". This folder contains VERY important files that i will be needing soon.

I assumed that Windows would still have access to the folder, but alas, no. All my desktop icons dissapeared, and windows kept saying the "file could not be found message.

I logged off, and logged onto another user, and tried to find the folder in "C:\Documents and settings\". It was not there, so to test i tried to create a folder called my original user name. It said "file/folder already exists".
I knew it did, but it wasn't there. i enabled viewing hidden and system files, but they still wouldn't show.

How can i recover my files? I need them next week!

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there pj1115, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

Have you tried unlocking the filess re-using "Folder Lock"??

Cool :whistling:

Slithy Toves

Slithy Toves

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just curious: Can you access the folder by typing the exact path into the run command? It seems unlikely, but I'd be interested to see what the error message said. I have no personal experience with Folder Locker so I'm afraid I can't be of much help in that area, however...

...how are your LINUX skills? It might just be possible to startup with a LINUX Live CD of some kind (knoppix, ubuntu, or gentoo for instance) and poke around in your files. Then, copy them from the locked folder onto another part of your hard drive or even some removeable media. It seems unlikely that the Folder Locker program could prevent this from happening. However, if each individual file or folder has some kind of password mechanism "attached" to it, then just moving a file out of the locked folder won't help you. I know of someone who used a LINUX live CD to recover data from a bad XP computer, but there were no password/file protection schemes that he had to circumvent.

Thought you might like to have this option presented to you. Tell us how things go.

Twas Brillig and the...
--Slithy Toves

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Get Total Commander from ghisler.com Its a windows Explorer replacement
You will probably be able to access the files through it with no problem

pj1115

pj1115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i have a problem with some of these.

first of all, the program files were located in the folder i locked.

and i do not have a linux cd, and cant get hold of one in time.

i will try using a command line, and the explorer replacement.

pj1115

pj1115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
okay, i've tried command line. i get "system cannot find the path specified".

with total commander, the folder doesnot exist.

But i know it is there, as when i try to create a folder with my username, it tells me that it already exists.