Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Way outta my league

• Please log in to reply

gilly578

gilly578

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi all,

I was on my pc which has been horribly slow for a long time and it just shup down and then gave me this blue screen with all kinds of instructions on it.

Then it just restarted itself and said it had recovered from a serious error and I reported it via the box that popped up.

Then I was taken to the MS website where it says:

Error caused by a device driver Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem description

A device driver installed on your computer caused the problem; however, we cannot determine the precise cause. To troubleshoot the problem, see
Getting Help.

Here is the link for what is says in full,
http://oca.microsoft...3df6918&SID=685

I did install the kapersky (sp?) firewall and MS updated my pc a few days ago. But I havent installed anythng else in ages and its been slow for a long time and I do not know if these are related.

One more thing the new virus scan found some and and some other stuff and I gave permission for it to delete it .

I was gonna follow the MS instructions but the last time I did that alone it turned into a complete disaster and Im not sure what a driver is or where one finds it at.

I did search the topics and nothng came back with my problem. And Im sorry if Im in the wrong place.

Please help me cuz I am not sure what to do or who to do. I ve been reading but that just confuses me more .

Thanks so much

Jan

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi gilly578...

The first thing we need to do is get you started booting into Safe Mode until we can get this sorted out. Booting into Safe Mode will utilize a minimum number of devices and drivers. Safe Mode with Networking will allow internet access if you connect via a Local Area Network.

When you start the machine, tap the F8 key during bootup to get a Safe Mode Options screen. Try the option for "Last known good configuration" first. This may resolve the problem. If not, boot to Safe Mode with Networking.

Download, install, and run WinAudit on the machine. Save a report to your desktop using the default report settings. This will generate 3 HTML files. Attach the one named "rightframe.html" to an e-mail to me. (I will PM you with my address). This will give me some information on the machine I can use to troubleshoot the problem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello gilly578...

I received the log and have reviewed it. From what I can see, much of the problem is related to malware...probably from the Limewire that's installed on the machine.

I'd like you to check for a couple of files for me. Open "My Computer" and double click the "Local Disk C:" icon. See if the files Smss.exe and/or Csrss.exe are found in this location. Let me know what you find.

You also have an update from Microsft (KB908531) that is known to cause problems on some machines. Let's deal with the malware first, though, and see where things stand.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions on this page.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

gilly578

gilly578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Thanks for answering!

Ok dont laugh but I was exactly sure how to find the file so I used the search thing and its says there are four files found SMSS C:\I386, C:\I386\SYSTEM32, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 AND C:\WINDOWS\Servicepackfiles... but i dont see anything with an .exe on the end.

For the Crss.exe it shows CRSS C:\I386, crss C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 AND crss C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles...j

I did install limewire a long time ago and uninstalled it a just 2 or 3 days later. I also suspected malware so I already did the malware things, so I will just do the Hijack this and post it if you say so.

Thanks Again So much

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I would go ahead and post a HiJackThis log in malware just to be sure. Even the best scanners can't find everything...it takes a trained eye for that.

Once we know the machine is clean, we can get about fixing you up... :whistling:

wannabe1

gilly578

gilly578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I will do that!

Thank you Again
:whistling:

gilly578

gilly578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi I am back, Ive been cleard by the Malware Folks.

They said I have a clean Hijack this log, so do i stay here or start a new thread :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi gilly578...

Let's see if we can get this thing sorted out.

Open Control Panel and double click on "Add or Remove Programs". Tick the box at the top to "Show Updates". Scroll down the list and locate Security Update KB908531...Remove it and reboot.

The files I had you look for are in the proper folders...no problem there. :blink:

Let me know if what I suggested produces some improvement...I'll review your trip through malware. :whistling:

wannabe1

gilly578

gilly578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks,

I hate doing this but I dont see the item you told me.

The closest thing to it is Windows installer 3.1 (kb893803)

Am I misreading or something? :whistling:

Thanks Again

gilly578

gilly578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
oppossssssssss

I have it , i figures out i have to click the box that says updates :whistling:

Advertisements

gilly578

gilly578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
:D :) HUGE HUGE HUGE IMPROVEMENT :D

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH :help: :) :)

Im near tears and so relieved ......... I would have NEVER figured this out if spend a year reading about it :blink:

Y'all and this site are simply the best :whistling:

Thank You , Thank You , Thank You

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Outstanding! :whistling:

Now let's hide that update so it's not downloaded and installed again.

Go to Windows Update by clicking Start, point to All Programs, and choose Windows Update from the top portion of the menu. Once at the Windows Update site, choose the "Custom" option for downloading and installing the updates. It will scan your machine and probably ask you to install a Genuine Advantage Validation Tool...go ahead and let it install (You may be prompted to restart the machine...do so and go back to the update site).

It will then scan your machine again for available updates. Once the scan has completed, click on the "High Priority" link in the left pane...locate Security Update KB908531 in the right pane, and tick the box under the update next to "Don't show this update again"...if the box is not present, look for a plus sign (+) next to the update and click it...the box should then be visible.

This update will no longer be available for download. :blink: Should you wish to install this in the future, click the link in the left pane to "Restore Hidden Updates.

wannabe1

gilly578

gilly578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
OH Gosh I might be in trouble .........

I did as you and i saw it doing a scan and i didnt see the link on the left panel you said to click on and then all of sudden a window came up that said installing updates. I picked the restart later option so I could post back here. Is it possible that its putting that back on my pc????? :blink: :whistling:

gilly578

gilly578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
:blink: Yes it reinstalled it again ........... all I did is go to the site and select custom and it put if right back on :whistling:

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Can you not just take it back off again like you did the first time?