Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me Obewan Kanobee...

• Please log in to reply

Rickkins

Rickkins

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I get the following....

Winamp 5.2: winamp.exe - Application Error

X The instruction at "Ox1a18a0ee" referenced memory at "0x0000000c". The memory could not be "written"

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

-------------------------------------------------------------

What in the world is going on...???
I've tried several versions, same diff...

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would try backing up your winamp user files with your preferances somewhere and then deleting the files in the user directory so that you can do a fresh install it may be an error from a plugin or just some corruption in the file, try a fresh install and see if it works alot of times unless you delete every thing to do with the app before the reinstall you just pass the error to every reinstall.

I havent had any bothers with winamp 5.21 lately so try the latest version.

Rickkins

Rickkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've gone through everything with a fine tooth comb.
Seems to be "support for modern skin" that causes
the problem.

If I choose full install, and uncheck that box, it installs ok.

But try as I might, I cannot get it to install with "support
for modern skin" box checked.

I even went through the registry and deleted every instance of winamp that I could find, except for the downloaded file itself.

This is a recent install of xp, on newly installed segate SATA(1) drive.

I've noticed a couple other oddities too.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried a check disk there may be something wrong with the drive or the os installation if you are having other problems as well.

Rickkins

Rickkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Checkdisk checks out...no probs.
No real problems....rather slight 'odditties...'
For instance...when booting...when I get to the screen with the bar...it starts off, er, faded...then lights up full
and the bar starts moving. It never did that before.(I think... :whistling: )

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The bar usually moves you should see a blue (sometimes green) set of squares moving along the bar, the bar itself if its moving i would worry.

What i would do is rule out something wrong with you memory run memtest 86 on your memeory sticks preferably one at a time for a couple of hours(over night is good) and see if you can pcik up errors on the memory.

Another possibility you might have a bad sound driver or codec, try reinstalling your sounds driver and if you get the kilte mega codec pack and install that it shoud fix anything wrong with your codecs.