Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File and Folder Permissions?

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi;
I am running windows XP Pro
I have two User Logins:
Daily User - Limited Account
My Name - Administrator Account

Some time ago from my Administrator Account I set a load of files and folders on my spare Hard Drive as hidden. I could access them from either account by selecting view hidden files & folders.

Recently I was "Playing around with" file and folder permissions and encryption. I tried to set the files as Encrypted using Windows XP, folloing an online tutorial.

Now I can only view the files when I log in using the My Name Login which has Administrator Access.
Also these files and folders and folders have all turned green?? Does this denote encrypted??

I bought a new 200GB Hard Drive (two 100GB Partitions) to act as a storage drive and moved these files and folders from the exisiting Drive, a Segate, onto this new drive a Maxtor, the access restrictions have remained associated with the files?

I set the drive as shared but no hand appears under the drive and it is not visible to the network, but when you look at the drive properties it is set as shared??

How do I remove all the restrictions from these files and folders? and set them back to normal? Why can't I share this drive, is it because of the encrypted restricted files it contains??

All my drives are formated using NTFS as the file structure.

Any help would be great
:whistling:

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308993 :whistling:

How to Remove Encryption from a File
Only the following people can decrypt an encrypted file. • The user who encrypted the file
• Any user who was designated as a recovery agent before the file was encrypted
• Any user who has the public key or private key for the recovery agent or the user that originally encrypted the file
• Any user who has been granted access to the file
For additional information about how to grant access to an encrypted file, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
308991 (http://support.micro...b/308991/EN-US/) How To Share Access to an Encrypted File
Members of the Administrators group cannot decrypt files unless the person who encrypted the files designated them as recovery agents before encrypting the files.

NOTE: You must be the original encrypter of the file or a designated recovery agent for the file to use the following steps. If you are not authorized to remove encryption, you receive the following error message:
Error Applying Attributes
An error occurred applying attributes to the file:

Path:\Filename

Access is denied
To remove encryption from a file: 1. Use Windows Explorer to browse to the location of the encrypted file that you want to decrypt.
2. Right-click the encrypted file, and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab, click Advanced.
4. Click to clear the Encrypt contents to secure data check box, click OK, and then click OK again.

How to Remove Encryption from a Folder
NOTE: You must be the original encrypter of the file or a designated recovery agent for the file to use the following steps. If you are not authorized to remove encryption, you receive the following error message:
Error Applying Attributes
An error occurred applying attributes to the file:

Path:\Filename

Access is denied
1. Use Windows Explorer to browse to the location of the encrypted folder that you want to decrypt.
2. Right-click the folder, and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab, click Advanced.
4. Click to clear the Encrypt contents to secure data check box, click OK, and then click OK again.
5. When you are prompted to confirm the attribute change: • If you want to decrypt only the folder, click Apply the changes to this folder only, and then click OK.
• If you want to decrypt the folder and its contents, click Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files, and then click OK.