Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer acting weird

• Please log in to reply

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Recently, my computer has taken to opening applications that I did not start myself, such as Teamspeak Calculator, and document folders, such as My Pictures. It is also typing letters that I'm not typing, although this is a minor issue, and I can live with it, as it only occurs every hour or so, and even then, it's usually just a letter such as "u,i or m" that is typed.
Lastly, and this usually occurs when I am playing a game, my computer will go back to the windows login screen, or it will go into standbymode.
As I was typing that last sentence, the computer pressed the F7 button.
I'm running an AVG check, but I don't think that's it. If anything, it may be the fact that I recently purchased a wireless mouse/keyboard, but I only use the mouse.
This started happening around a week ago, at least, that's when I noticed it happening.
Any ideas?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Aslyfox...

Is this a laptop or a desktop machine?

wannabe1

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
It's a desktop

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you install the software for the wireless keyboard? It may be that the drivers for the wireless are causing the problems with the standard keyboard.

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Yea, I did install the driver, however, I think I can only uninstall the wireless keyboard AND mouse, I don't think I can just uninstall one of them. I will attach a screenshot of what I see when I go through Add/Remove programs, and what I see when I navigate to the Wireless set through Start - All Programs
wireless.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the make and model number of the mouse...look on the bottom. Let's see if we can find the drivers for just the mouse.

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I'll just copy all of the details on the bottom of the mouse:
Vivanco
19626 / Wireless Desktop Set
Tested to comply with FCC Standards
FOR HOME OR OFFICE USE
Rating: 2.4V - 65 mA
S/N: 007650305
M/N:90102AK2202
Model No.PT-2003m
MADE IN CHINA

EDIT: I believe I may have got it working, I tried disabling the Keyboard driver, and so far, everything's been running fine.

Edited by Aslyfox, 01 May 2006 - 10:02 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That should take care of it. Wireless keyboards use way different drivers than the standard ones...this can give rise to all kinds of unusual problems if you elect to not use the wireless keyboard. :whistling:

wannabe1

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Gah, it's starting to run Calculator, Teamspeak, and going into Standby mode again :/

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did this happen after rebooting? Are the wireless keyboard drivers re-enabled?

Advertisements

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I never reboot, I hibernate. I re-enabled the wireless keyboard driver, then disabled it again, and it still opens applications.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
For troubleshooting purposes, shut the machine down, hook up your old mouse, and start back up. Does the problem persist?

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I always leave my old mouse plugged in, and will I unplug the wireless drivers?

Edited by Aslyfox, 02 May 2006 - 11:13 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
So you are running with a standard mouse and a Wireless mouse at the same time?

Yes...unplug the wireless mouse and disable the drivers for the wireless mouse and keyboard. Let's see if the problem occurs with the standard hardware and drivers.

Edited by wannabe1, 02 May 2006 - 11:17 AM.

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Alright, I disabled the wireless keyboard driver, but I forgot to disable the mouse driver. Since the reboot, which was around 25 minutes ago, nothing has opened. I've unplugged the wireless mouse, and am using my normal mouse.