Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving program files to lap top

• Please log in to reply

Alelne

Alelne

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I would like to move all my program files from my "D" file to a new lap top. One has XP Professional the lap top has XP home. Can this be done if there is enough memory? Can I copy and paste to the lap top or transfer some way? I have CD's for some but not all programs. Some I have downloaded etc.

Edited by Alelne, 30 April 2006 - 06:26 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Alelne...

You can do this, but the programs won't run... :whistling:

Programs must be installed to the machine before they will run...simply moving the file to another drive of another computer will not install them and write the necesary values to the registy.

wannabe1

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
That is why i save all downloaded exe files along with any registration files and upgrades, and burn them to cd's. It makes it much easier to move the programs you like to a new computer. I just wish XP would play nicer with the older programs. I miss parts of my corel photo-paint 8 program that were not included with the later versions.

SRX660