Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home network

• Please log in to reply

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Ok i finished buildng my new gaming pc but i dont know much about how to get the office pc and the gaming pc on the internet with a router or something. :whistling: I also need to know whats the best cheap router i can get for under like 50-60 dolars and some ethernet cables(long) to connect my pcs.

Advertisements

MJS

MJS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is a very simple task. I am not sure where you are starting from so I'll start from the beginning. You will first need a broadband or dsl connection and a modem. Once/If you already have this we can begin. This week there have been many sales on the linksys wrt54g router for 50 dollars, this is an excellent router and an excellent bargain. You may only need a wired router but I think this may be the best deal anyway it supports wireless and wired. Ethernet cables can be purchased from any store office max, staples, circuit city, best buy, wal-mart or your mom and pop store. If you're looking to run a long amount of wire you may want to look on ebay as people sell up to 100ft of cat5 cable for very cheap. Alternativley you may wish to splice and connect the wires yourself (a little more difficult) The wire, cat5 connectors, and tools you will need can be found at any home improvment store. Once you have decided on all of this, and have the items necessary post another question and I'll help you get started

Matthew

FuM

FuM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
This was a great post thanks for the heads up on the router that realy solved most of my question my second part of the question is the software and ip part of the setup how does it work?