Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory too low

• Please log in to reply

rainbo

rainbo

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I keep getting the message that my virtual memory is too low on my computer. What exactly does this mean (in lay terms) and is it something I should be concerned about? If it's not a big deal, then you need not go through a long explanation about what it is. :blink: I'm just wondering if it means that my computer is almost full or something. :whistling: Thanks!! ~M~

OS Windows XP, in case you need to know.

Edited by rainbo, 30 April 2006 - 08:18 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
myself i took the memory card out went to staples and match one up andbought same kind and put both of them in. gave me more memory. or you may unneccesary have programs running or you have programs you dont need. any way someone will come along and help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi rainbo...

The Virtual Memory error is pretty common on machines that don't hav a lot of Physical Memory (RAM). Does the error say that windows is increasing the size of your Virtual Memory? If it says that, then your settings are ok and the system is managing the size...you should be ok. If you don't receive this message, let me know and we'll take a look at the paging file settings.

wannabe1

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Thank you. Yes, it did say that it was increasing the amout of space, or something along those lines, but I have known it to say that I must close some other windows in order to perform a certain task. Is there anything I should/can do to help this situation, or just let it be? Thank you again. ~M~

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Turning off some of the programs you have running in the background would certainly help. Many programs will load when Windows starts unless you tell them not to. Look in the System Tray (by the clock). Do you have quite a few icons there? Right click on them to see what they are and see if you can shut them down (Exit). All you really need running is your malware protection (Antivirus - Firewall - Antispyware). Most of the others can be shut down. That will free up the Physical Memory and should redice the frequency of the paging file message.

If you'd like to make them so they don't start with Windows, right click on the icon in the System Tray and look for "Options" or "Preferences" and see if you can find the setting to have it not start when Windows loads...this is usually just a check box.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

What exactly does this mean (in lay terms)

Basically its a part of your Hard Disk space ( free space ) that is used as a swap file/ paging file to swap modules when your physical RAM isnt sufficient to support the programs running.
Just in case your drive is running out of free space, make sure you run a disk cleanup and its also good to run the defragger after that regularly to keep it running smooth :whistling: Here's a link you could read
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php