Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Facebook and INternet privacy

• Please log in to reply

41n

41n

• Pip
  • 3 posts
im not talking about identity theft. Im talking about something a bit different. umm, for example, if someone i knew was curious what i was doing online, would they able to? If they didnt have direct access to my pc, but maybe new my ip address? Also, i heard that its possible to track keystrokes, can this be done from a remote location? i just want to make sure its not possible. im not a hacker or anything trying to figure out how to do this, just want to make sure i dont have to worry about this. also, i dont know if any of you are familiar with the facebook. its is a social networking site like myspace, except it is restricted to college students. Facebook doesnt have a feature for tracking who has been looking at your profile. are there any programs out there that do this? is it possible to modify code or anything? once again, i dont want to know how to do theses things, just want to make sure no one is doing this/using such things against me...

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The way facebook works is that only people who are your friends can view your profile and only people who are in your instution can see anything more than a name and picture.

A keylogger is a piece of software that records keystrokes and saves them and they can be transmitted or picked up by someone else later, however you have to have this installed they can come in malware form so a anti virus should help protect you there someone can install them if they have had access to your system physcially but since you usually dont let random people on your computer thats not as likely.

Without having something malicous installed on your system the only people who can track what you do online is your ISP and they dont track everyone and when they do at least here it can only be requested by the government even then the data is confidential and secure.

You can be paranoid but it isnt worth worrying about just use common sense and most people are fine.