Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where did my folder go?

• Please log in to reply

ppalmer10

ppalmer10

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
:whistling:
I opened My Docs one day and my most important folder was missing. I checked Recycle Bin to see if I had accidentally deleted it. I went through all of my other folders to see if I had accidentally dragged it. I did a search of both of my hard drives to see if it just wandered off by itself. I leave my computer on 24/7. I have Avast! running. I do a daily sweep with Spy Sweeper. I do a weekly sweep with Spybot - Search and Destroy. I use Windows Firewall. I have tried a couple trial versions of data recovery software and can see quite a bit (if not all) of the files I'm looking for. My main question is, the few that I've tried show results with a name not necessarily named as I had them named. Can anyone recommend a free or inexpensive data recovery program that will make it fairly clear to me what I want to recover? (P.S. Yes, I was backing up my system. Through this experience I have learned that it wasn't doing what I thought it was doing!) So, I need a good back up system and recovery program. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try WinBackUp from my signature, check it is doing what you need

pearce15

pearce15

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Similar problem here but of a different origin. I was managing my website using dreamweaver when I accidentally clicked on remove site. It totally removed my entire folder with all the files I had, working files i.e. .psd etc. Is there any way to recover them? I tried a system restore before the date of the incident and could only manage to recover the folders but not the files inside.

Help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.