Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with folder options control panel

• Please log in to reply

Bonfire

Bonfire

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
My daughter-in-law sent me little short videos of my grandsons to my Outlook Express. I have Windows XP Media, Pentium 4. Everytime I try to open them I get this message that says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel". I am not sure how to go about this and would appreciate it if someone could walk me through it.
Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what is the file extension on the file?(the stuff after the . like .rm .wmv...something like that)

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Just says unknown file type.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open up my computer > tools > folder options > view tab > uncheck the "hide extensions for known file types"> press apply and ok...now go back and look at the file....does the name now have 3 leters at the end? what are those letters?

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Okay I did, went back and checked, this is all I am seeing...
Name: 04-29-06_1755.3gp
Type: unknown file type

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok that's a quicktime file...do you have quicktime installed?

if not go here http://www.apple.com...cktime/win.html and download and install quicktime (it will install itunes as well...but that's ok)...you should then be able to play the movie...which i'm gonna guess was recorded with a phone?

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have Quicktime and I just checked to see if I needed any udates and it said everything was updated. Yes, she recorded it with a phone. So now I am not sure why the Quicktime is not working. Should I unistall it and then re-install?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no... right click the file and choose "open with" then choose quicktime from the menu that shows up (if it's not in the list you'll have to choose browse then find the quitime program..which should be in C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.exe)

IF you cannot choose "open with"
the open up my computer > tools > folder optioins > file types> see if you see 3gp in the list...if so make sure it's associated with quick time player...if YOU DO NOT see 3gp on the list click

new > then type 3gp as the extesion then associate that extesnsion with quick time

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Okay, did what you said and went back to see if it would play and when I clicked on it , it is now saying Type: Quicktime. But when I clicked to open it the same thing is coming up that I need to associate. When I added it in there was a Quicktime and then a whole bunch of other types of Quicktimes below that one, like movies and other ones. What should I do now, sorry I really don't know that much about computers, just learning!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and we're at a disadvantage cuz i've never touched a 3gp file...

open up quicktime and choose preferences > quicktime preferences from the edit menu

then go to the file types tab and expand mpeg, make sure that both 3gpp options are checked...then try to open the file using file > open file from within quicktime

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 3g phone vids can be play using the nokia media player if you go to the nokia website you can download it from there, it will play the files or at least should it was the original player for these files.

If you still cant get it to play we can always try converting them to avi which will play on most players.

Edited by warriorscot, 01 May 2006 - 10:56 AM.

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Okay that worked! Thank you so much for helping me. It is very short video, they live on the east coast and I live on the west coast and I sure didn't want to miss seeing the video, it wasn't very clear but I could see they were having fun! None of the other stuff was checked, should I check all of it? It had came up with saying "Another application has modified your Quicktime viewer associations".

Again thank you so much!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
only check the rest of that stuff if you want to use quicktime to view and listen to every media file on your machine with quicktime ( :whistling: i say that's a bad idea as quicktime sucks) ...if your daughter will be sendin you these movies on a regular basis..you may want to look into getting the nokia player that scot suggested (scot do you have a link to it?)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.nokia.com...4,81596,00.html apparently its in there new pc suite as well.

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks you guys, I will check it out. Do you know if I download it if it will alter anything on the Quicktime?
Thanks