Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cd-Rom problem

• Please log in to reply

Applecheeks

Applecheeks

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have a Sony desktop computer operating system windows xp with service pack 2 almost 3 yrs old. I have 2 seperate drives Cd-rom drive and Dvd drive. I heard a strange noise coming from the tower. As i turn to look my dvd drive flew open on its own there was no cd inside I closed the drive. My cd-rom drive did have a music cd I tried to open the cd-rom to remove the cd inside without success. It's stuck. I tried a paper clip on shut down of the computer as well as the computer being on. Both without success. I went to My computer and clicked once on the cd drive to highlight and right click to eject and without success again. I then close the computer down and re-open and tried to push the button again no difference. I went back to My computer and the drive seem to dissapear everything is there but the cd-rom drive. Close down the computer again rebooted and the drive isn't there and still unable to open the cd rom drive. Any suggestions?

Thanks Applecheeks

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
For less than $20 you can replace the drive. For $25 you can replace it with a CDRW and for about $50 you can replace it with a DVDRW. Regardless of what you wind up doing, it sounds like your drive is shot - these things do happen.

:whistling:

edit: If you are worried about the CD inside the drive. Pull the dive and retry the paper clip - this is mechanical so unless the CD is jammed or had a label peel off inside the drive, its going to open.Try a stronger paper clip if necessary.

Edited by Rockster2U, 01 May 2006 - 11:10 PM.

Applecheeks

Applecheeks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Rockster2u,

Thank you for replying. This morning I open the computer and my cd-rom drive open upon hitting the button ( Lucky me). My cd that was stuck inside was now in a million pieces ( Unlucky me) as well as 2 black small pieces came out ( assume its part of the drive) All and all I will have to buy a new one.

Again I appreciate you're reply ,

Thank you,

Applecheeks