Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

formatting C:

• Please log in to reply

relmore

relmore

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi, I've been instructed to format a computer and I don't have access to a windows xp installation disk currently. I can't format the drive while windows is running. I can't seem to get the computer to boot to a command prompt. It doesnt have an a: drive (for a boot to msdos disk). I also have tried going to boot options F8 and don't see a Command prompt only option. I've attempted the safemode c prompt boot but still boot to windows safemode and get that the error that the disk cannot be unlocked. What can I do here to simply get the drive formatted? Thanks!

when f8 is pressed during boot i get
safemode
safemode with newtworking
safemode with command prompt

enable boot logging
enable vga logging
last known good config
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable auto restart on sys failure

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Safe mode with a command prompt gets to one eventually

You can use boot an nuke to wipe the drive

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
thanks for the quick reply keith. i burned the iso file for the boot and nuke process to a blank CD-R however when i boot from the cd, i hear the drive reading it but it goes on to boot to windows. is this because I have not finalized the CD-R?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Possibly, though you may want to test the theory with a floppy, the other thing is check the drive is set to boot from the CD ROM then the hard drive

relmore

relmore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
i needed to burn it as an "image" to the disk to be bootable duh. thanks keith. got it covered now

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

If you are not in a hurry, use the longest type of format with boot an nuke, likely to be an overnight job