Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error and Power Cycling on Laptop

• Please log in to reply

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
URGENT TO ANYONE who can help!!!

Just got a laptop that a friend gave me. It is 2 or 3 years old and is power cycling.

It gives me an option on how to start windows and then no matter what selection I make It begins the startup process and then flashes a blue error VERY quickly before restarting and giving me the options again. GOAL TO HAVE THIS LAPTOP OPERATIONAL within a few hours!!!

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

GOAL TO HAVE THIS LAPTOP OPERATIONAL within a few hours!!!

almost assured not to happen....

do you have all of the system recovery disks? (or better yet an actual OS disk that came with the laptop?)
do you want to keep any of the info on the laptop?

if the answer to those questions is yes...then no...

then you could try just formatting and reinstalling windows...

if you don't have the disks...and you do want to keep the data....weeelll then it's gonna take a while

K_Lorber

K_Lorber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I DO NOT mind if the data is lost on the computer but I DO NOT have any recovery discs

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have access to an xp disk of the same type that was originally installed? (i.e. xp home or xp pro...sp1 or sp2)