Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't decide on processor..

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Ok, I need a new processor and i've narrowed it down to either the Athlon 64 3700 (San Diego) or the Opteron 146...

Which do you think is better for gaming?

Advertisements

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
The Athlon will wipe the floor with the Opty in gaming. Optys are great overclockers, but when you're dealing with a 3700, which is also a great overclocker, it's no competition.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok, I need a new processor and i've narrowed it down to either the Athlon 64 3700 (San Diego) or the Opteron 146...

Which do you think is better for gaming?

The amd opteron is the better cpu if you want to overclock it atleast slightly.. It will last longer because it is dual core and by the way new technology and cpu's, motherboards, video cards, direct x10 are coming out soon..

Just a thought, but I would wait about upgrading in my opinion. If you cant wait then do whatever you want to do but I am waiting for the newer processors to come out and the new video cards as well.

Amd has the new am2 socket and am2 motherboards coming soon with ddr2 support now. Generally the speeds wont be alot faster the only one to look out for is the fx-62 and see how good it does on the benchmark tests.. but for normal people it will cost too much anyway to buy..

Intel has a new cpu coming out called the conroe and it beat the fx-60 in all benchmark tests by far in early beta stage. Just telling you how powerful the chip is. The 2.66ghz intel conroe cpu will cost around $500-$530 is what they said. They have others aswell and the one below the 2.66ghz is very affordable while you still get the large 4mb cache as well..

* E6700: 2.66 GHz / FSB 1066/ 4 MB shared L2 cache
* E6600: 2.40 GHz / FSB 1066/ 4 MB shared L2 cache
* E6400: 2.13 GHz / FSB 1066/ 2 MB shared L2 cache
* E6300: 1.86 GHz / FSB 1066/ 2 MB shared L2 cache
* E4200: 1.60 GHz / FSB 800/ 2 MB shared L2 cache
* Conroe Extreme Edition (XE): Specifications unknown

http://www.tgdaily.c...o_launch_in_q3/

the e6600 with 2.40 GHz / FSB 1066/ 4 MB shared L2 cache is the best price to performance ratio out of all intels and it is way better priced than the current fx-60 cpu and its even faster than the fx-60..

Im just giving you some helpful info, and I think you should wait alittle bit (in my opinion) to see what the amd am2 and intel conroe chips will be doing..

anyway the opteron is a hard to beat chip and I would buy it if this new current technology wasnt coming out.

I will buy when the conroe and amd am2 cpus come out and the new direct x10 video cards do.

If you are a hardcore gamer, I would definately wait it will be worth it... If you just game sometimes or you just wanted an internet or media center pc the current cpu's would be fine to buy.

Im making a guess right now but with the benchmarks I saw of the early beta stage on the conroe 2.66ghz vs an overclocked fx60 at 2.8ghz I am willing to guess that even the 2.4ghz version of the conroe will still beat the amd fx-60 at STOCK speeds.. Its only 200mhz slower than the 2.66 version and the 2.66ghz version powned the fx-60.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hey isn't AM2 the server platform socket and socket F for desktops?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hey isn't AM2 the server platform socket and socket F for desktops?

Yeah.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Socket_AM2

but here it shows that m2 is the regular dual core x2 chips as well..

http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2587

I think it was previously known as m2 but they changed it to am2 now..

weird i saw 3 different sites with 3 different answers.. Ask warriorscot and see if he knows what the desktop sockets will be because that last link says that m2 will be the desktop socket..

Edited by jrm20, 03 May 2006 - 04:16 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Everything ive read including the AMD stuff says the next desktop socket will be AM2, it did used to be M2 but another company had M2 copyrighted or whatever so they added an A. Unless they changed it recently its still AM2 for desktops and i havent seen anything come up on digg for a few weeks about a name change and if they did change it it would have been front page.