Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ripping to MP3 w/ Media Player 10

• Please log in to reply

Kayiena

Kayiena

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a quite new Dell pc, and am wanting to rip one of my new cd's to mp3. W/ my old pc, I had the installed pack to do that with windows media player, and now I can't do it. According to Microsoft, WM10 is supposed to have full functionality in ripping to mp3, but I can't get it to do it, says I need one of the add-on (pay) packs to do it. I Really would like to avoid installing yet another program, and I don't want to buy a pack if I can avoid it, nor do I want to pay for Winamp pro to allow me to do that either. Help?

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Try Audiograbber, it's made by the person who originally created Audio Catalyst and it's freeware.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Edit*forget that the buggers changed it they used to do mp3 in the normal at least i always could but apparently you cant, ive got pro anyway just because its great.

There is lots of freeware apps kicking around that does it though just find one you like, also i think the Klite codec pack has the drivers in it to get WMP to rip to mp3 after installing it on a computer ive always been able to rip mp3s in wmp10 but i dont do it alot because winamp is a bit better. You can also use an app called sonic stage from sony to do alot of people whinge about how bad it is but ive always liked it and its good for ripping.

Edited by warriorscot, 04 May 2006 - 05:08 AM.

Kayiena

Kayiena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I know there are plenty of other programs out there, but I'd like to do it from within one of hte ones I already have. Thanks for the replies too!

I did get winamp to do it in the end, but man.. it's so easy to do it w/ WMP! Pristine quality isn't a major concern for me, its just the stuff I throw together to listen to digital mixes while I work on the computer. if I really want the *quality* sound, I'll stick the cd in the big stereo. Ya know?

Anyway.. any further insight would be greatly appreciated!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Buy a creative audigy sound card. Creative has a great player/ripping program called creative play center. It will play raw files and if you record the raw file play center will save it as a true MP3. It will make MP3's of any bitrate you want. Also makes wav files if you like. I like it a lot better than WMP. My Cool Edit 2000 will not play raw files but if i record them with playcenter, cool edit plays them just fine. Cool edit 2000 is a nice program for cutting and pasting different sound files together for sounds that are completely different. Too bad Adobe bought them out and now charges $300 for what they are calling Audition now.

SRX660

Kayiena

Kayiena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Again.. I appreciate it, but I really just want my software to work the way it's supposed to. That's my whole issue here. I know there are a gazillion other ways to rip to mp3, but I want my software to work right!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it is working within the parameters of the freeware config, they split WMP up after real player guys made them stop packaging it with windows so they put the extra functionality in the extra packs. If you had an older version if WMP10 it would have worked.They are just trying to spin money and cover there backs from law suits as they were offering features that most players you have to pay for and they dont like that as even if there software is better people would use WMP because its free.