Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rundll32.exe

• Please log in to reply

cacklerooster

cacklerooster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, here goes, someone's going to love figuring this out.
I run windows 98SE on an old HP Vectra, Intel Pentiumlll, (which works just fine for what I do). Anyway, last week I downloaded a spy scanner and lost my rundll32.exe. Since then I cannot get into my control panel functions at all. . When I click on add/remove or any function, (in control panel) it tells me it cannot find the file rundll32.exe.
So, I download rundll32.exe and try to install it. It tells me that it has no association and I have to create one. How do I do that. I don't always understand computer language, (I'm in just over a year), so please walk through it step by step.
I have run 4 different virus scans, including cw shredder, and 4 different spy scans, including trojan hunter, it shows nothing that should cause this.
Any and all help is appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I think your problem is you're trying to 'install' it by double-clicking it, when you should simply be 'copying' it to the correct folder. Now, I no longer use win98 so I can't check where the file belongs, but I'm fairly certain you need to copy it to the 'C:\Windows\System32' folder, that's where it resides on windows XP anyway.

1.Right-click the file and select COPY
2. Open the folder C:\Windows\system32
3. In an empty space within the folder-window, right-click and select PASTE. The file should now appear in there.

Edited by pip22, 04 May 2006 - 04:15 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi cacklerooster
With windows 98
Rundell32 lives in c:\windows
all you have to do is copy the file into that folder you do not click on it to run it as Pip22 says just copy it to the folder.