Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to disable automatic date update feature in MSW

• Please log in to reply

amsrct101

amsrct101

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I needed a copy of a legal document I wrote a year ago and printed copy. Once Printed, the date on my document was changed to todays date. Grrrrrrrrr! Please, can someone tell me how to disarm this feature? I've looked and I'm not finding it. I don't want or need the dates auto changed. I want to keep the original dates in tact. ??????????? :whistling:

thank you! :blink:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the date in a header or footer? or is it somewhere in the text?

amsrct101

amsrct101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The date is in the header

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you SHOULD just be able to delete the date out of the header...which would remove the autotext that was inserted there...then type whatever date you want i n there

amsrct101

amsrct101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's what I did because I saw what happened. But I work with legal documents at home and this could cause me a big problem, nothing should be changed. Is there any where in the program where this feature can be disabled?

Thank You

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...not really...the autodate that you're describing is inserted as an autotext...if you just MANUALLY type all the dates on the documents that you create then you won't have this issue...if you're getting the documents from someone else...then you'll either have to get them to stop doing the autodates or you'll just have to go in and edit them

amsrct101

amsrct101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OH ok! I'll try that from n ow on I will type the dates on the originial docs instead of allowing auto date to fill . I'll see if this works thank you so much for the help!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You might want to save any legal documents as a PDF that way they wont be autoupdated and have a greater range of compaitbility and security. It depends on which version of word you are using, although its a recent feature to word so you might not have it.

But PDFs are the safest way to keep documents once they are finished as you cant edit them directly without permision and if its for an archive thats what you want.