Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mixing hardrives,, good idea or not ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi there,,
Unfortunatly,,, my old dinosuars motherboard has packed in,, giving me the opportunity to go out and get a replacement.
The new pc isnt anything special by todays standards,, but is good enough for my needs.
Its a p4 , 3.0ghz cpu, over a gig of memory, and has a 80gb hard drive, running xp home.
The harddrive is a " ultra dma " model,, and my question is,,,,

Can i use my 2 older ide drives alongside this one ???
I would like to be able to just install them in the new pc,, but am a bit worried about compatibility.

My most important drive from my old pc was my primary drive and has the os on it as well as lots of pics documents and music files,,, but the os is xp pro,,,,,,,would installing this drive cause any conflict as it has a different os than the new pc ?????

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Can i use my 2 older ide drives alongside this one ???
I would like to be able to just install them in the new pc,, but am a bit worried about compatibility.

you should be able to install the drives without issue as long as you jumper them correctly and connect them to the right places on the ide cables..

My most important drive from my old pc was my primary drive and has the os on it as well as lots of pics documents and music files,,, but the os is xp pro,,,,,,,would installing this drive cause any conflict as it has a different os than the new pc ?????

as long as you connect this drive as a slave the os will not boot...but you will be able to access the files and copy them over to your new computer's drive...then format that old drive to remove the os and all that...

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks a million,,,,
Thats exactly what i thought,,, just needed a more informed view,,, thanks,,,

Edited by rxkevco, 04 May 2006 - 10:00 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,730 posts
Just as an additional thought, what I like to do is to get a USB external case and use the old disk as a removable disk. This allows you to get the data off the system and have a means of backing up your data. It also means that the disk is not running all the time, so it saves power.